24 August 2007The issues of electricity security, improvements to South Africa’s criminal justice system, and skills development dominated the agenda of President Thabo Mbeki’s meeting with local business leaders in Cape Town on Thursday.The second meeting of the year between the Presidency and the Big Business Working Group discussed recommendations on how to manage the changeover to new capacity in the midst of tight electricity supplies in the country.Safika Holdings deputy chairman Saki Macozoma told reporters after the meeting that possible measures discussed included looking at the role of independent power producers (IPPs).According to a document on local government expenditure released last year by the National Treasury, a tender has been issued for IPPs to provide about 1 000 megawatts of new capacity by 2009.Other measures discussed at Thursday’s meeting included the role of renewable sources of electricity and continued demand-side management of electricity usage.Macozoma said the current electricity supply situation would not necessarily affect South Africa’s economic growth. At the same time, he emphasised the importance of raising awareness on saving electricity among both household and industrial consumers.State electricity company Eskom has already made considerable savings from such measures, a factor that would be critical during the next five years, the meeting noted.CrimeAnother key item discussed was the partnership between business and the government in tackling crime in South Africa.The meeting noted that crime levels were still high in the country, but expressed satisfaction with progress in key areas, such as the fight against organised violent crime and the overall re-engineering of the criminal justice system.The government made a presentation on a plan to improve the capacity and efficiency of the justice system. Details of the plan will be presented to the Cabinet before being publiched for public commentMacozoma said a key element of the plan was ensuring “systemic planning” across the criminal justice system.Skills developmentThe third key issue discussed at Thursday’s meeting was how investment in skills development had progressed in the country.Macozoma said skills development was a key focus area for business, with research showing that South Africa companies are generally spending about 4.7% of their payrolls on training, including the one percent already going to the skills development levy.Macozoma added that he was unsure as to the quality of this training, and said this was an issue to be examined in the future.A key question related to the training of artisans, whose skills are in great demand as South Africa experiences a construction boom.Source: BuaNews
New Delhi: Rajiv Kumar, currently serving as Financial Services Secretary, was on Tuesday designated as the new Finance Secretary. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the designation of Kumar as the new Finance Secretary, according to an official order. Kumar is a 1984 batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre. The designation of Kumar as the Finance Secretary comes in the backdrop of transfer of Subhash Chandra Garg as the power secretary. Garg has already sought voluntary retirement from service.
LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — A father on trial in his son’s death suggested Wednesday that he and his wife would have been better off going directly to hospital rather than handing the child over to an ambulance.David and Collet Stephan are charged with failing to provide the necessaries of life to their boy Ezekiel in 2012. The 19-month-old died of bacterial meningitis seven years ago.His parents had treated him with herbal and alternative remedies before they sought medical attention.Court has heard the couple made two 911 calls on March 13, 2012. The first was when Ezekiel had stopped breathing, but he seemed to recover, so David Stephan turned down an offer for an ambulance.Within the hour, the Stephans were on the phone with a dispatcher again as they drove from their southern Alberta home near Glenwood to meet an ambulance on the highway.David Stephan, who is representing himself in court, spent hours cross-examining paramedic Ken Cherniawsky, who met the Stephans while they were on the way to the nearest hospital in Cardston.Cherniawsky testified Tuesday that the ambulance wasn’t properly equipped with either the right-sized valve mask or endotracheal tube for a patient of Ezekiel’s age.“Yesterday it was identified it was approximately 8 1/2 minutes without oxygen whatsoever. No chest rise. No chest fall. Correct?” Stephan asked Wednesday.“Yes,” Cherniawsky replied.“Would it have been better to have just kept on driving to hospital with Collet doing the CPR than for him to end up in an ambulance and go 8 1/2 minutes without oxygen?” said Stephan.“No. If a patient, regardless of whether it’s a pediatric or an adult, if they’re in cardiac arrest, the evidence-based, definitive treatment which proves to have the most success is defibrillation … and the ambulance had the equipment available,” said Cherniawsky.He said there was no chance of it working on the toddler because he had already flatlined.Cherniawsky also told the court that there was no damage done to Ezekiel from the time he was received into care and taken to hospital.Earlier this week, naturopath Tracy Tannis and friend Terrie Shaw testified that they suggested the parents take their son to see a doctor when he failed to recover from what the family thought was the flu.Two protesters were standing outside court in Lethbridge, Alta., early Wednesday. Dr. Bill Shields, a urologist, was holding a sign that read “Ezekiel Had A Right to a Life” while his wife Roberta’s placard read “Health Care Is Not Evil.”“I don’t believe how they treated their child is anywhere near (how) I would or anyone I know would have treated a child that sick,” said Shields.David Stephan said outside court that it hurts to hear public criticism and “to have salt rubbed in the wound on a regular basis.”It is the second trial for the Stephans, who now live in Grande Prairie, Alta. A jury found them guilty in 2016, but the Supreme Court overturned the convictions last year and ordered a new trial.— Follow @BillGraveland on TwitterBill Graveland, The Canadian Press
ATLANTA – A man died after he fell approximately 65 feet from an upper level of Atlanta’s Turner Field during a Braves-Phillies game Monday.According to Atlanta police reports, at approximately 8:55 p.m., the unidentified man fell from the at the stadium and landed in a secure parking lot.Initial reports indicate that the fall appeared to be accidental and that it is too early to tell if alcohol played a factor. During the initial stages of the investigation police are questioning eyewitnesses to evaluate how the incident occurred.The game was scheduled to start at 7:10 p.m., but heavy rains pushed back the start time nearly two hours. The man fell during the rain delay.This is the second death from a fall to occur at an Atlanta sporting event over the last year. On Aug. 31, 2012, a Tennessee fan fell 45 feet to his death at the Georgia Dome during a football game between North Carolina State and Tennessee.
Cleveland Browns punt returner Travis Benjamin shined in Thursday night’s game against the Buffalo Bills setting a Browns’ franchise record with 179 yards on punt returns in the 37-24 victory over Buffalo at FirstEnergy Stadium.Late in the second quarter, the Buffalo Bills were punted to the Cleveland Browns after a solid defensive performance from the Browns. Browns wide receiver Travis Benjamin caught the ball and ran for 79 yards to score the touchdown. Benjamin was not shy showcasing his speed andelusiveness. He was able to run to the complete opposite side of the field and still get to the end zone to give the Browns the lead before halftime.“Travis was huge out there, man,” teammate Josh Gordon said. “We’ve never really even seen a guy who’s that fast and little. It’s great to have him on our team. He’s a builder for our offense, a huge, pivotal guy.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 06 Oct 2015 – It is National Heritage month and there are new dates for some activities according to the department.This weekend residents are encouraged to head to South Caicos for a taste of the island on October 10; In Salt Cay on October 11th there will be a Gospel Concert and on the holiday, which is Monday October 12 – there is an all islands flag parade, featuring the Turks and Caicos Islands flag. This is the second year for National Heritage Month. Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:national heritage month National Heritage Month ends National Heritage Month Events featured in all islands Heritage month packed with culture
Dear Editor and Wilmington Voters,I am writing today to ask you to join me in supporting Jomarie O’Mahoney for Selectman. I knew of Jomarie through our community but never had the pleasure of meeting her until she was appointed by the Governor to be a state appointee on the Wilmington Housing Authority.Jo conducts herself with confidence and professionalism at all times. She has a tremendous background and she would be a great asset to our Town.Jo is smart, kind and thinks things through as she just wants what is right. She is a strong supporter of new Elderly Housing, that is affordable and located close to shopping. She supports and wants new businesses to be brought in for the Route 38 empty store fronts.She wants what is best for Wilmington, she is raising her family here and will be a voice for you. Please join me on April 27th and cast your vote for Jomarie.Sincerely,Stacie A. MurphyLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedLETTER TO THE EDITOR: Shawsheen Tech School Committee’s Robert Peterson Sr. Endorses O’Mahony For SelectwomanIn “Letter To The Editor”LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Jomarie O’Mahony Brings This Community Together, Has My Vote For SelectwomanIn “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Supports Fire & Police Substation In North Wilmington; Town To Vote On Project In April 2020?In “Government”
Reliance Communication Chairman Anil Ambani announced that his company has “virtually” merged with Reliance Jio Infocomm, which is owned by his elder brother Mukesh Ambani.Reliance Communication and Reliance Jio have agreements to trade and share spectrum. According to a report in the Economic Times, the two telecoms have synced their network operating centres, optic-fibre service contracts and network maintenance functions.”As far as our 100 million customers are concerned, as far as our one million retailers are concerned, as far as our employees are concerned and as far as our vendors and partners are concerned, there is already been a virtual merger of the two organisations (RCom and Jio),” Ambani told shareholders at RCom’s Annual General Meeting on Tuesday.Following the announcement, the Reliance Communication stock was trading at Rs 48. 30 at around 11:08 a.m. on Wednesday, up 0.63 percent from its previous close. On the other hand shares of Reliance Industries (parent of Jio) were trading at Rs 1,092.35 apiece, down 1.63 percent on the BSE.However, a Reliance group official later clarified that Anil Ambani was not hinting at any legal merger. “The two companies are not merging,” the official told publications.In other news, Reliance Communication and Reliance Jio among other telecom firms have been declared qualified to bid for airwaves during the upcoming spectrum auction. Reliance Jio can bid in any licensed service area across India, while Reliance Communication can bid anywhere except for the northeast region and Assam. Reliance Jio has deposited the highest earnest money of Rs 6,500 crore.
Ryan Poppe | Texas Public RadioThe Texas Capitol in Austin.Harvey could dominate much of the next Texas legislative session. House Speaker Joe Straus has told key committees to start working on long-term solutions to Harvey-related problems. He wants lawmakers ready to act the moment the Legislature convenes in 2019.Top priorities for Straus include flood control and other infrastructure investment. That’s not only to fix damage from Harvey, but also to prepare for future disasters. In addition, the speaker wants help for schools Harvey damaged and students the storm displaced.“The recovery from this thing is, it’s going to be long at best,” says State Rep. John Zerwas of Fort Bend County, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, “and it could be even more prolonged if we aren’t stepping in and making sure we understand what the resources that are available to us and making sure that the communities and ultimately the citizens will benefit from those things.”Zerwas says 2019 may seem like a long way off, but lawmakers will have to work out the framework of the budget by next summer. He plans to bring the Appropriations Committee to Houston in October for its first public hearing. 00:00 /00:56 X Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share