A worker controls a tapping of a blast furnace at Europe’s largest steel factory of Germany’s industrial conglomerate ThyssenKrupp AG in the western German city of Duisburg in this file photo. REUTERS/Ina FassbenderThyssenkrupp workers have opposed the idea of the German industrial group becoming the junior partner in a possible steel joint venture with Tata Steel, group works council chief Wilhelm Segerath told Reuters from Dusseldorf, Germany, on Monday.Thyssenkrupp and Tata Steel have been in discussions since last year to combine their European operations in a joint venture to remove overcapacity from the market and cut costs, and had so far said to be planning a 50-50 venture, the Reuters report said.Reuters quoted German business daily Handelsblatt reporting on Sunday that Thyssenkrupp aimed to hold less than half of the potential venture so it can deconsolidate the business from its balance sheet.”I don’t believe in a minority stake. We reject that idea,” Segerath told Reuters, adding that such a move would make the steel business entirely dependent on a foreign investor whose intentions for jobs and sites were uncertain.Labour bosses at Thyssenkrupp have long opposed a possible merger of the European steel businesses of the two companies, fearing that such a deal would destroy jobs without making the business more sustainable.Thyssenkrupp’s steel works council chief Guenter Back said last month that finance chief Guido Kerkhoff had said the company would decide by the end of 2016-17, which runs through September, whether to proceed with a merger.
Iranian president Hassan Rouhani. Photo: ReutersIran is ready to “vigorously” resume nuclear enrichment if the United States ditches the 2015 nuclear deal, and further “drastic measures” are being considered in response to a US exit, Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned Saturday.Zarif told reporters in New York that Iran is not seeking to acquire a nuclear bomb, but that Tehran’s “probable” response to a US withdrawal would be to restart production of enriched uranium-a key bomb-making ingredient.“America never should have feared Iran producing a nuclear bomb, but we will pursue vigorously our nuclear enrichment,” added the foreign minister, who is in the United States to attend a UN meeting on sustaining peace.US president Donald Trump has set a May 12 deadline for the Europeans to “fix” the 2015 agreement that provides for curbs to Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for relief from financial sanctions.Zarif’s comments marked a further escalation of rhetoric following a warning earlier this month from Iranian president Hassan Rouhani that Washington would “regret” withdrawing from the nuclear deal, and that Iran would respond within a week if it did.The fate of the Iran deal will be a key issue during French president Emmanuel Macron’s state visit to Washington beginning Monday, followed by talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Washington on Friday.Zarif said the European leaders must press Trump to stick to the deal if the United States “intends to maintain any credibility in the international community” and to abide by it, “rather than demand more.”The foreign minister warned against offering any concessions to Trump.“To try to appease the president, I think, would be an exercise in futility,” he said.European leaders are hoping to persuade Trump to save the deal if they, in turn, agree to press Iran to enter into agreement on missile tests and moderating its regional influence in Yemen, Syria and Lebanon.If the United States buries the deal, Iran is unlikely to stick to the agreement alongside the other signatories-Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia — said the foreign minister.“That’s highly unlikely,” he said. “It is important for Iran to receive the benefits of the agreement and there is no way that Iran would do a one-sided implementation of the agreement.”Zarif, who will attend a UN meeting on sustaining peace this week, warned of “drastic measures” under discussion in Iran.He declined to be more specific, pointing to “what certain members of our parliament are saying about Iran’s options.”
Share Al Ortiz | Houston Public MediaShelter set up at The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints, in Houston. Aug. 28th, 2017.The City of Houston website released a list of available multi-service centers providing food and safety to those in need in the wake of Harvey’s devastation:Denver Harbor Multi-Service Center 6402 Market Street Houston Texas 77020 832.395.0895Fifth Ward Multi-Service Center 4014 Market Street Houston, Texas 77020 832.393.3800Sunnyside Multi-Service Center 9314 Cullen Houston, Texas 77051 832.395.0069Third Ward Multi-Service Center 3611 Ennis Street Houston, Texas 77004 832.393.4051West End Multi-Service Center 170 Heights Blvd Houston, Texas 77007 832.393.5950The following Centers are open:John Peavy Senior Center 3814 Market Street Houston, Texas 77020Kashmere Gardens Branch Library 5411 Pardee Houston, Texas 77026The following non-profit partners have offered to assist in staging survivors until they can moved to a shelter:Fallbrook Church 12512 Walters Houston, Texas 77014Lyndale United Church 503 Reeid Houston, Texas 77002MD Anderson YMCA 705 Cavalcade Houston, Texas 77009Trotter Family YMCA 1331 Augusta Drive Houston, Texas 77057Community of Faith Church 1024 Pinemont Drive Houston, Texas 77091List of available Multi-Service Centers provided by City of Houston’s website https://t.co/qlAL6bjUCr @fema #Harvey pic.twitter.com/Hpk8QyQS2B— Alicia Barrera (@AliciaBarreraTV) August 28, 2017
Tuition for Maryland’s colleges would be held to three percent during the coming four years if Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown is elected governor, the leading Black candidate in the June primary election pledged March 12.Under what the Brown campaign is calling the Keeping College Affordable Plan, the tuition increase cap launched under Gov. Martin O’Malley and Brown in 2007 would be continued in a Brown administration. The 3.3 percent cap on annual tuition increases at the state’s public colleges and universities makes Maryland’s tuition growth rate the second lowest in the nation.“As part of our campaign to build a better Maryland for more Marylanders, we make our children a promise: that if they work hard and do well in school, there’s nothing they can’t achieve,” Brown, who is campaigning to be the Democratic Party’s gubernatorial nominee, said in a statement. “We’ve made great progress over the last seven years toward the goal of ensuring every Maryland student has access to an affordable, high-quality college education, but we can do better.”The tuition cap pledge is the 11th policy proposal issued by Brown and running mate Ken Ulman, Howard County executive. Brown said, “that’s why Ken Ulman and I will cap college tuition growth at no more than 3% annually over the next four years — so we can extend ladders of opportunity to every Marylander, regardless of background or means.” Ulman said during the news conference, “Anthony Brown has led the way as Maryland has maintained the lowest tuition growth rate in the nation, including a four-year freeze in tuition cost hikes.”The June 24 primary pits Brown and Ulman against five other sets of candidates for the party’s nominaton: Attorney General Doug Gansler and Del. Jolene Ivey, Ralph and Feda Jaffe, Del. Heather Mizeur and Delmon Coates, Charles U. Smith and Clarence Tucker and Cindy A. Walsh and Mary Elizbeth Wingate-Pennacchia.