Posted: October 7, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Pedestrian hospitalized with gunshot wound after fight with motorist in Del Cerro October 7, 2018 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A 57-year-old man suffered a gunshot to his right forearm while fighting a motorist who almost struck him Sunday morning in the Del Cerro community of San Diego, a police sergeant said.The victim told police he was walking southbound across the street in the 5200 block of Adobe Falls Road when he was almost struck about 1 a.m. by a white, four-door sedan, said San Diego police Sgt. Michael Tansey.“He exchanged words with the driver of the vehicle. The vehicle stopped and a Pacific Islander male exited the driver’s seat,” Tansey said. “The two became involved in a fight, and the victim was knocked unconscious.”The 57-year-old man regained consciousness and was taken to the hospital by an unknown citizen.He realized that he had been shot in the forearm while at an area hospital and was transferred to the hospital’s trauma unit, where he was treated for his injuries, he said.The suspect in connection with the shooting was described as a 6-foot, 2-inch tall Pacific Islander weighing 220 pounds with long hair. KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
Tim Cook will on Wednesday inaugurate a development centre for digital maps in Hyderabad and introduce an accelerator programme for iOS developers in Bengaluru, a source privy to the Apple CEO’s first official multiday visit to India told Bloomberg.Indications weren’t clear if any talk on opening Apple’s first retail store in the country is scheduled. Another source said Cook’s widely-reported meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi wasn’t finalised yet, as the week will also witness results from five state Assembly elections. CNN Money noted that Modi had met Cook during his visit to Silicon Valley in the U.S. in September 2015.Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Simon Chan noted that Apple isn’t even among the top 10 in terms of smartphone market share in India. Samsung, Micromax and Lenovo are the top three.The $234-billion company’s market share in India is a mere 2 percent. However, in the first three months of the year, India registered a record 56 percent rise in iPhone sales, while globally the company saw its first ever fall in the same period, said Reuters. “I’m encouraged by the results that we’re beginning to see there, and believe there’s a lot, lot more. I view India as where China was maybe seven to 10 years ago from that point of view, and I think there’s a really great opportunity there,” Bloomberg quoted Cook as saying in a latest earnings call.While the rest of the smartphone markets in the world are saturated and seeing decline in new phone sales, India remains the world’s second-largest market by volume, and under-penetrated, said the news agency. Incidentally, Apple is the world’s second-biggest smartphone-maker, said CNN.However, Apple’s pricing of phones in India may be a big deterrent, noted IDC, the research firm. It told Bloomberg that while Apple’s cheapest iPhone, the SE, is priced Rs. 26,600, predictions for the average cost of phones in India in 2018 was expected to slump to Rs. 6,800 â€” half of the world average.Smartphone sales in India rose by 5.2 percent in a year’s time to reach 23.5 million units in the last financial year. Market estimates say the country will clock 1 billion smartphone sales in next five years.India retail entry apart, Apple wants the key issue of India accepting its import of refurbished iPhones in the country to be sorted out. While it also wants to know the benefits Apple could get by bringing assembly and manufacturing to the country selling its Make in India initiative.
A worker controls a tapping of a blast furnace at Europe’s largest steel factory of Germany’s industrial conglomerate ThyssenKrupp AG in the western German city of Duisburg in this file photo. REUTERS/Ina FassbenderThyssenkrupp workers have opposed the idea of the German industrial group becoming the junior partner in a possible steel joint venture with Tata Steel, group works council chief Wilhelm Segerath told Reuters from Dusseldorf, Germany, on Monday.Thyssenkrupp and Tata Steel have been in discussions since last year to combine their European operations in a joint venture to remove overcapacity from the market and cut costs, and had so far said to be planning a 50-50 venture, the Reuters report said.Reuters quoted German business daily Handelsblatt reporting on Sunday that Thyssenkrupp aimed to hold less than half of the potential venture so it can deconsolidate the business from its balance sheet.”I don’t believe in a minority stake. We reject that idea,” Segerath told Reuters, adding that such a move would make the steel business entirely dependent on a foreign investor whose intentions for jobs and sites were uncertain.Labour bosses at Thyssenkrupp have long opposed a possible merger of the European steel businesses of the two companies, fearing that such a deal would destroy jobs without making the business more sustainable.Thyssenkrupp’s steel works council chief Guenter Back said last month that finance chief Guido Kerkhoff had said the company would decide by the end of 2016-17, which runs through September, whether to proceed with a merger.
Actress Shobha of Magalu Janaki fame died in a road accident.Kannada TV actress Shobha and four others died in a road accident on the outskirts of Chitradurga on Wednesday, July 17. The incident occurred when their car rammed into a truck on National Highway 4.The reports say that there were eight people travelling in the multipurpose vehicle, which crashed into a speeding truck in Kunchinaganalu on the outskirts of Chitradurga. Five people have been declared dead, while three people, including two children, sustained severe injuries.The deceased have been identified as Shobha, 45, Ashok, 35, Shyamala, 64, Sukanya, 67, and Manjula, 45. Pavitra, 30, Shreshtha, 7, and Arthat, 2, are being treated at a government hospital in Chitradurga.The residents of Rajarajeshwari Nagar were on the way to Banashankari Temple in Badami taluk in Bagalkot District. It is reported that the accident occurred after the car’s tyre burst.Who is Shobha? Shobha was working in noted filmmaker TN Seetharam’s TV soap Magalu Janakki. She was seen in the character of Mangala, the mother of Anand Belagur. She had earned fans through her natural acting.Mourning her death, TN Seetharam said, “Ever smiling and highly talented actress Shobha, who was doing the role of Mangala, is no more. I am shocked over the tragedy and expressing my condolence to her family.”
Yanghee Lee. UNB file photoThe UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Myanmar Yanghee Lee has lamented the decades long cycle of violence perpetuated by the authorities against ethnic minorities in Myanmar, including Rohingya Muslims, reports UNB.In a statement following her visits to Thailand and Bangladesh last month, she also said talk of repatriating hundreds of thousands of Rohingyas anytime soon was premature.Lee said that what the Myanmar government claims to be the conduct of military or security operations was actually an established pattern of domination, aggression and violations against ethnic groups, according to a statement UNB received here from Seoul on Thursday.”Recent reports of attacks against civilians; against homes and places of worship; forcible displacement and relocation; the burning of villages; land grabbing; sexual violence; arbitrary arrests and detention; torture and enforced disappearances; are acts that have been alleged against the military and security forces for generations,” she said.”While reports from Rakhine State have rightly provoked international outrage; for many in Myanmar, they have elicited a tragic sense of déjà vu.”She said the atrocities committed against the Rohingyas in the aftermath of the 9 October 2016 and the 25 August 2017 attacks, have been repeatedly witnessed before, albeit not on the same scale of the recent attacks against the Rohingya.”I was told repeatedly by the other ethnic groups I spoke to — be they Kachin, Karen, Karenni, or Shan — that they have suffered the same horrific violations at the hands of the Tatmadaw over several decades and — in the case of some groups — continuing today,” Lee said.”In Thailand, representatives from different ethnic groups that I met expressed their concern that as the world’s attention is focused on the atrocities in Rakhine State, potential war crimes are being committed in Shan and Kachin State without so much as a murmur of disapproval from the international community.”Lee said that set against this background of violence in the ethnic areas of Myanmar, was a continuing erosion of democratic space.”The civilian government has failed to usher in a new era of openness and transparency and is instead persisting with repressive practices of the past.”Lee, who was informed by the Myanmar authorities last year she would no longer be allowed to visit the country on the grounds her reporting was unfair and biased, called on the democratic government to break with the repressive practices of the past, and to allow people who have fled their country to return home – to where they belong.But she added: “For returns to be ever realized in a way that is voluntary, safe, dignified and sustainable they must be treated as equals — citizens of Myanmar with all the rights that that status affords.”She said that while the government of Bangladesh had made it clear that no refugees would be forced back to Myanmar, the international community must pressure Myanmar to create conditions for their return before it is too late.”This must be done in a principled way that prioritizes the need for these people to be recognized as Rohingya and as citizens of Myanmar,” she said.Lee said that during her visit to a camp in Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh, she saw great anxiety and fear when speaking to refugees about the prospect of returning to Myanmar.”One mother said to me, ‘Our beautiful children were slaughtered. How can we go back?’ Refugees have been entirely excluded from conversations about their fate, and going forward they must be involved in a meaningful way.”Without equality, Myanmar will never be free from violence and the country’s tragic déjà vu will reverberate through the future as it has through the past. The cycle of violence must end, and Myanmar must be supported in implementing the profound and meaningful reforms that are so urgently needed.”Lee said she hoped to regain access to Myanmar. “I remain ready to work with the Government and other stakeholders to promote and protect the human rights of all people in Myanmar,” she said.
By Mark F. Gray, AFRO Staff Writer, email@example.comA tough stretch for Prince George’s County school administrators continued as a prominent athletic coach finds himself on the sidelines. DuVal High School varsity football coach Tarrell Lockwood, who also works as in-school suspension coordinator, was placed on leave as the investigation continues into what is being called “an alleged inappropriate interaction with a student” Feb. 12.According to Prince George’s County Police, who are handling the investigation, the incident did not involve any touching or any kind of physical contact. Lockwood has been with the Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS) system since 2005 and began working at DuVal in 2011, according to a spokesperson with the school system.DuVal High School Football coach, Tarrell Lockwood, was placed on leave for inappropriate interaction with a student. (Courtesy Photo)However, NBC4-TV in Washington first reported that the investigation began following allegations that involve text messages with a female student. There were a range of emotions on the Lanham campus. Several of the players expressed shock and disbelief about the suspension and investigation, while some parents admitted they weren’t surprised and heard previous rumors about these potential allegations.“He’s a good coach and an inspiration to all of us,” said DuVal football player Derrick Okuwemba.“I don’t think he would do something like that,” added female student Jayda Reed. “It doesn’t sound like him really.”“I’m sure it’s not right, but I’m shocked,” said soccer athlete Sidiq Azumah.A parent who spoke on camera did concede that she heard whispers of similar allegations in the past.“I’m not surprised,” said Vanessa Mason.This latest investigation continues a troubling pattern that has been following DuVal for more than a year. In January 2018 the school was embroiled in a grade fixing scandal whose reverberations were felt throughout the county. An investigation by the Prince George’s County Board of Education revealed that some DuVal High School staff made inappropriate decisions to impact the grading and graduation certification processes. An October 2017 audit showed that roughly five percent of PGCPS students were not qualified to graduate which led to a review of grading practices and graduation certification for the 2016 and 2017 school years.The audit, ordered by the Maryland State Department of Education, concluded that in 2016, the year DuVal had a 92 percent graduation rate, almost seven percent of students shouldn’t have received their diplomas. In cases of another 27 percent, there wasn’t enough documentation to verify they were candidates for graduation. For 2017, the audit found 16 percent of their graduates couldn’t have their final standing verified while four percent shouldn’t have received diplomas. State investigators interviewed staffers who claimed that grading policies were violated so that students could be given extra chances to graduate.DuVal’s audit was part of a broader look that auditors took at high schools in the county where questionable graduation rates were also found at other schools as well. Five administrators were from their positions in January 2018, including the former principal, an assistant principal, and three other employees. Calls from members of the Board of Education and parents throughout the County asked for the resignation of Superintendent Kevin Maxwell.Meanwhile, Charles H. Flowers High School Principal Gorman Brown remains on administrative leave as County Police continue their investigation into an altercation between, he and a disruptive student. The Department’s investigation continues as they work to secure any other amateur video that may have other angles or more of the entire incident.Last September a group of school employees also sued the PGCPS after a secret camera was found in the principal’s office at Charles Herbert Flowers. Several employees, including the principal, may have been videotaped during private meetings or while changing clothes before late evening afterschool events.
×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 The device also seems to offer an Ethernet port as well as a USB port for manual software updates. There is no notable Coax input, suggesting that the device is meant to receive TV programming over the internet as opposed to traditional cable infrastructure –a departure from Layer3 TV’s more cable-centric approach.Test reports included with the filing suggest that it comes with 802.11ac Wifi connectivity as well as Bluetooth LE, with the latter likely being used for its remote control.T-Mobile acquired Layer3 for $325 million about a year ago with the stated goal of building out its own internet-based TV service. T-Mobile COO Mike Sievert said in August that the company was planning to launch the new service before the end of the year.Update: 5:30pm: Updated with a statement from T-Mobile. Popular on Variety T-Mobile’s upcoming TV service may be just around the corner, if a new FCC filing is any indication: A set-top box likely built for the service surfaced in a filing made by Kaonmedia, a company that previously build set-top boxes for T-Mobile’s Layer3 TV subsidiary.The box is branded with T-Mobile’s T logo, and is being called the “T-Mobile Mini” in a manual included with the filing. The FCC label of the device still is Layer3 TV-branded.A T-Mobile spokesperson sent Variety the following comment after this story was first published: “We’re hard at work on our new home TV solution, and after launch, we’ll continue to innovate and expand T-Mobile’s entertainment solutions over time.”There’s little to gather from the manual about the exact functionality of the device, but photos show that it features HDMI pass-through, which may be used to incorporate third-party streaming devices or game consoles without the need to switch back and forth between different TV inputs.