Former Bahamas PM warns new Govt to remain “humble” Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppGrand Bahama, Bahamas May 8, 2017 – Urban Renewal Deputy Director Michelle Reckley says the Free National Movement (FNM) has “stooped to an all time low” following a fake news report accusing her of tampering with ballot boxes.Yesterday, Reckley said FNM incumbent MP for East Grand Bahama, Peter Turnquest had gone to the Central Police Station with two lawyers supposedly to report the fraud. There were also rumors on social media that Reckley and her husband had been arrested for ballot box tampering. “Yesterday he made a total you know what of himself. Very, very disgraceful and had to come back and say there’s no truth to it,” said Reckley.However, assistant parliamentary commissioner, Reno Smith has cleared the air on the issue stating that neither Reckley nor her husband were guilty. “They were in no way present. They were not in the vicinity of the police headquarters at all. On election day all ballot boxes are empties for everyone to see and touch. Even there were secret compartments in the boxes all of the political operatives are allowed to touch the boxes,” Smith said. Smith assured the public that the process is transparent.Reckley said that she has had enough of the FNM’s Grand Bahama campaign which she claimed has been constantly attacking her character.#MagneticMediaNews#MichelleRickley#fakenews Bahamas Min. Finance vs opposition on Civil servant pay Forthcoming appointments at ZNS, Training Agency leaked Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#magneticmedianews, fnm, michelle reckley, Peter Turnquest
Tags Porsche Taycan on ice in Sweden Porsche Volkswagen Now playing: Watch this: Post a comment Share your voice Enlarge ImageWe’ve already taken the Taycan drifting on ice in Sweden. Now, we just can’t wait to see the darn thing without camouflage. Porsche While the Porsche Taycan electric sports car and the Volkswagen ID 3 electric mass-market hatchback have about as much in common as a tuna fish sandwich and Euler’s formula, they are still both electric cars that happen to offer reservations ahead of production. You might think the much more affordable car would garner a bit more attention than the expensive one; you might also be wrong.According to a report from German-language business newspaper Handelsblatt this weekend, Porsche board member Andreas Haffner indicated that Porsche has 30,000 orders for the Taycan already. This is a pretty large leap from the last estimate we heard in March, when Porsche said over 20,000 people had registered their interest.Consultant and analyst Matthias Schmidt pointed out in a tweet that, according to the most recent data, Porsche has more Taycan reservations than Volkswagen has reservations for the ID 3 electric hatchback. VW’s most recent deposit estimate, about 22,000, came from Jürgen Stackmann, the VW board member responsible for sales and marketing.While it might seem odd that a car with, in all likelihood, at least twice the base price will command more reservations, it makes sense. VW’s ID 3 hatchback is a mass-market vehicle, part of a giant onslaught that will feature multiple body types, and not everyone might want the ID 3 itself over, say, an ID Buzz or an ID Crozz. On the other hand, the Taycan is the first electric Porsche, which carries a bit of cachet, and Porsche fanatics and moneyed EV geeks alike are probably champing at the bit to pick a Taycan up as quickly as possible.Porsche is set to unveil the Taycan in early September. While it’s working on the frontend stuff, it’s also massively investing in its backend, throwing some 6 billion euro at its manufacturing facilities to handle Taycan production. The automaker is clearly impressed with demand for the car, as it’s already made moves to double first-year production from 20,000 cars to 40,000. With a starting price between the Cayenne and Panamera, it shouldn’t break the bank, either.(Hat tip to InsideEVs!) 0 42 Photos Ice drifting in Porsche’s all-electric Taycan 2020 Toyota 4Runner first drive: Same as it ever was — mostly 5:27 Electric Cars Sports Cars Future Cars Hatchbacks More From Roadshow 2020 Mini JCW Clubman first drive: A fast alternative for the crossover-averse Porsche Volkswagen 2020 Kia Soul review: Well-rounded box
-Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Monday alleged that chief election commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda has been staging a mockery in the name of dialogue ahead of the 11th parliamentary elections, reports UNB.Speaking at a milad mahfil-cum-commemorating meeting, BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi urged the election commission (EC) to work for the restoration of people’s voting rights to gain public confidence instead of making any mockery.”People will consider it as a mockery what’re you [CEC] doing now in the name of dialogue. Stop it, and work for restoring people’s voting rights which will help you gain public trust,” he said.The BNP leader further said, “The CEC said they’ll only consider the suggestions of civil society members which are made in the light of the existing law and the constitution. If this is the case, why did you make a mockery in the name of talks? You shouldn’t have staged such a drama.”Jatiyatabadi Swechchhasebak Dal organised the programme at BNP’s Naya Paltan central office, marking the fourth death anniversary of its ex-office secretary Munshi Jamaluddin Ahmed.As part of the roadmap prepared by it, the EC sat with civil society members on 31 July, commencing its around two-month-long talks with different stakeholders about the next general election.Most of the participants suggested the commission earn people’s trust through making their activities visible as an independent body. They also recommended defining army as law enforcers so that they can be engaged in the next polls for holding it in a free and fair manner.Rizvi asked the CEC whether they invited the intellectuals to insult them by ignoring 90 percent of their suggestions. “The election won’t be free and fair, if it is held under the current law and constitution. In fact, you [CEC] don’t have any commitment to holding a fair and impartial election.”He came down hard on the CEC saying Huda is not sincere about holding a credible election as he is a pro-ruling party man. “Your activities give us an impression that you’re plotting to hold a lopsided election to prolong one-party Baksal rule.”The BNP leader alleged that their party has not been allowed to hold any programme in the current month as the ruling party is set to observe the national Mourning Day on 15 August commemorating the brutal killing of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and most of his family members on that day in 1975.”Did you make one of the 12 months disappeared from calendar that no other political party can arrange any programme in the month?” he asked the ruling Bangladesh Awami League.Rizvi said ruling party men and law enforcers are obstructing their party’s member collection programmes and attacking their party leaders and activists at different parts of the country.Describing 15 August a tragic incident, he said, “We also say a shocking incident took place in the month of August, and this is also justified that Awami League should observe a mourning day. But obstructing others from holding any programme in the month is an exposure of the party’s Baksal attitude.”
Two workers were killed and two others injured in a gas cylinder blast in an oil-laden vessel in the Karnaphuli River in the port city of Chattogram on Monday, reports UNB.The deceased were identified as Md Rashed, 23, and Md Abu Bakkar, 21.Karnaphuli police station officer-in-charge Syedul Mostafa said the gas cylinder went off at ‘MV Desh-1’ at Shikalbaha of the river around 4pm, leaving four workers injured.The injured were taken to Chittagong Medical College Hospital where doctors declared Rashed and Bakkar dead, said sub-inspector Jahir Raihan of CMCH police camp.Md Quamrul, 28, and Amzad Hossain, 30, were undergoing treatment at the hospital, he said.
Indian prime minister Narendra Modi pays his respects in front of the body of former chief minister of Goa and former defence minister Manohar Parrikar during his funeral in Panaji on 19 March 2019. Photo: AFPIndian prime minister Narendra Modi will fight to retain his Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh (UP) seat while BJP president Amit Shah will make his debut in Lok Sabha polls from Gandhinagar, Gujarat, BJP leader JP Nadda announced on Thursday.The Gandhinagar seat is currently held by veteran Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani, who has been winning the seat consecutively from 1998.Among the prominent leaders announced in BJP’s first list, which had 184 names across 20 states, were union ministers Rajnath Singh, who will contest again from Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, Nitin Gadkari from Nagpur, Maharshtra, V K Singh from Ghaziabad, Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (Jaipur Rural), Satyapal Singh from Baghpat, UP, and DV Sadananda Gowda from Bengaluru North.All are sitting MPs from these seats.Textiles minister Smriti Irani will again face Congress president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, while film actress-turned politician Hema Malini will contest from her Mathura seat.Union minister Babul Supriyo will fight to retain his Asanol seat of West Bengal, where he will face Trinamool Congress’s Moon Moon Sen. The BJP has also fielded Bengali film actress Locket Chatterjee from Hooghly, West Bengal.BJP’s Kerala strongman Kummanam Rajasekharan, who recently quit as Mizoram governor, will fight against Congress leader Shashi Tharoor in Thiruvanthapuram, while Union minister KJ Alphons will contest from Ernakulam.The BJP also fielded its Tamil Nadu unit chief Tamilisai Soundararajan from Thoothukudi from where DMK’s K Kanimozhi is contesting.Nadda, who had announced that India’s state minister for home affairs Kiren Rijiju will contest from Arunanchal East, later corrected himself, saying he would be contesting from Arunachal West.The BJP also fielded Baijayant ‘Jay’ Panda, who had quit Odisha’s ruling Biju Janata Dal to join it, from Kendrapara.Nadda also announced that candidates for all the 17 seats it will contest in Bihar have been cleared by the party’s Central Election Committee and sent to the state election panel.
Share Al Ortiz | Houston Public MediaShelter set up at The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints, in Houston. Aug. 28th, 2017.The City of Houston website released a list of available multi-service centers providing food and safety to those in need in the wake of Harvey’s devastation:Denver Harbor Multi-Service Center 6402 Market Street Houston Texas 77020 832.395.0895Fifth Ward Multi-Service Center 4014 Market Street Houston, Texas 77020 832.393.3800Sunnyside Multi-Service Center 9314 Cullen Houston, Texas 77051 832.395.0069Third Ward Multi-Service Center 3611 Ennis Street Houston, Texas 77004 832.393.4051West End Multi-Service Center 170 Heights Blvd Houston, Texas 77007 832.393.5950The following Centers are open:John Peavy Senior Center 3814 Market Street Houston, Texas 77020Kashmere Gardens Branch Library 5411 Pardee Houston, Texas 77026The following non-profit partners have offered to assist in staging survivors until they can moved to a shelter:Fallbrook Church 12512 Walters Houston, Texas 77014Lyndale United Church 503 Reeid Houston, Texas 77002MD Anderson YMCA 705 Cavalcade Houston, Texas 77009Trotter Family YMCA 1331 Augusta Drive Houston, Texas 77057Community of Faith Church 1024 Pinemont Drive Houston, Texas 77091List of available Multi-Service Centers provided by City of Houston’s website https://t.co/qlAL6bjUCr @fema #Harvey pic.twitter.com/Hpk8QyQS2B— Alicia Barrera (@AliciaBarreraTV) August 28, 2017
Kolkata: A fire audit has been conducted at 644 multi-storey buildings and places across the city and more buildings will soon be covered to check the incidents of fire, said state Fire minister Sujit Bose.While answering a question, Bose recently said in the Assembly that his department has been undertaking all preventive measures to curb incidents of fire in the state. To ensure that all the buildings adhere to the fire safety norms, particularly the high-rise ones, the Fire department has initiated the audit. Many more buildings have been identified, where fire audit would be undertaken soon, the minister said. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataFire audits have been initiated in marketplaces as well, which are vulnerable to incidents of fire. It has been found during investigation that the buildings which catch fire, lack fire safety mechanisms. It may be recalled that the city has recently witnessed a number of fire incidents in various places. The Fire minister also said that Rs 104.44 crore was spent in the last financial year for modernisation and buying new equipments. Around 11 new ladders have been procured at Rs 11 crore and Rs 35 crore was spent for buying new equipments. Many fire stations have been constructed in different places. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateIt may be mentioned here that the city’s Mayor Firhad Hakim had earlier requested Bose to complete the fire audit of the markets across the city soon, to crack the whip on those market authorities who are not following the guidelines of the fire brigade. Hakim also proposed certain rules and regulations after discussing with the fire brigade. Fire audit is necessary in marketplaces and multi-storeyed buildings because the firefighters often face problems while dousing the flames due to the hoardings and glow-signboards which remain fixed on the buildings. As a result of this, the firefighters have to pull down the hoardings to spray water. Meanwhile, Kolkata Municipal Corporation officials also held meetings with the Fire department to impose some restrictions on hawkers who put up their stalls in marketplaces.