New Delhi: Eighty-three English teachers of Delhi University on Saturday released a statement condemning what they called “unacademic” and “politically motivated” attack on the syllabus. The syllabi of four subjects, including English, were referred back to the respective departments by the Executive Council of DU following protests from a section of teachers who alleged that they were “pro-Left”. The teachers said it was a “democratically drafted syllabus”, which involved faculty participation from around 40 colleges over a period of two years. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”It is a matter of sorrow and deep academic concern that the syllabus is now being maligned, and is sought to be scuttled, by certain political groups at the university,” the statement said. They said that “at every point, discussions were minuted and circulated to ensure a continuing of the democratic spirit in which the entire exercise was undertaken”. “The syllabus has received extensive student and faculty feedback since it has been on the department website for far longer than other subject syllabi,” the statement read. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsIn the English syllabus, new areas of study were introduced, and the syllabus was consciously decolonised to introduce students to a wide variety of writings in English, it said. The syllabus was carefully worked out to ensure a seamless progression from school curricula, transiting into postgraduate studies. In following of due process, the syllabus has received positive feedback from both national and international experts, it added.
Kintzer, who says she’s wanted to change the company’s name since she took over in April 2014, jumped on the opportunity to expand the project into a full rebranding. From there, Starfish developed the new logo and redesigned the corporate website. As content publishers jockey for the attention of advertisers and investors, the last thing they want to do is explain how their corporate branding relates to their asset portfolio. That’s why, after 93 years, Reader’s Digest Association is announcing today that it’s changing its name to Trusted Media Brands Inc. The new name gives equal weight to the company’s full suite of brands, which expanded dramatically when RDA bought Reiman Publications for $760 million back in 2002. Chief among those brands was Taste of Home. “The name should have changed when Reader’s Digest bought Reiman,” says Kintzer. “At that point it became a very broad-based portfolio. I look at this as a long overdue change.” The full digital platform attracts 53 million monthly uniques, says the company, and in the last couple of years TMBI has built out an online education platform, called EnrichU, that spans its Taste of Home, Family Handyman and Reader’s Digest brands. “I look at this as the fact that we have all these brands and we’re always in the position of having to explain ourselves,” says Trusted Media Brands CEO Bonnie Kintzer. “That’s not the position you want to be in.” RDA hired creative agency Starfish, which was originally hired to work on an advertising positioning project. During that process, Starfish came up with six building-block terms to describe a common theme that ran through all of RDA’s products (uplifting, enduring, wholesome, trusted, empowering, amplified engagement). “It shows that we are a modern, current company with many brands, and what really runs through our brands is trust,” says Kintzer. “Our customers are trusting us to give them a recipe, health advice and craft ideas. Part of the genesis of this really started before the name change. How do you go to market to position the company with advertisers? What’s the common thread?”
WILMINGTON, MA — At last week’s Wilmington School Committee Meeting, Superintendent Dr. Glenn Brand announced that the district’s special education services will be evaluated by a third-party entity, Walker Consulting at the Walker Trieschman Institute.“[The Walker Trieschman Institute] is committed to improving outcomes for children and adolescents with disabilities by supporting the effectiveness and efficiency of services and settings in schools…,” explained Brand. “Under a structured approach, Walker Consultants will collaborate with our district to tailor their approach to our particular context and implement their data collection and analysis activities in a manner that is both respectful and fair.”“Walker Consulting will engage with students, staff, administrators, and families in data collection activities that include document reviews, observations, individual and group interviews, and surveys,” continued Brand. “The Consultants will analyze both quantitative and qualitative data in the development of their findings, perspective and recommendations.”The evaluation is expected to take begin around March 1 and be completed in mid-May.The final report will be made available to the public and its results will be presented at a future School Committee meeting.Alice Brown-LeGrand, the district’s Director of Student Support Services, selected Walker Consulting, in part, due to its recent evaluations of the Attleboro Public Schools, Watertown Public Schools, and Georgetown Public Schools. Walker Consulting is currently working with the school districts of Fall River and Wareham.The district is obligated to conduct a third-party evaluation after its completion of the state’s Coordinated Program Review.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSuperintendent Reorganizes Student Support Services Department; Special Education & Nursing Depts. To BenefitIn “Education”NEW ROLES FOR 3 FAMILIAR EDUCATORS: Shelia Burke, Leanne Ebert & Kevin Welch Named To Leadership PositionsIn “Education”Superintendent Brand Announces His TEN Goals For The 2019-2020 School YearIn “Education”
Sedans 2020 Volkswagen Passat: Almost all-new We last saw a new Volkswagen Passat eight years ago, a relative eternity in the automotive world. On Monday at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show, VW introduces a heavy refresh of its midsize sedan. I refrain from saying “all-new,” simply because, aside from its updated design, the Passat’s powertrain and technology remain largely unchanged. Enlarge ImageA new grille dominates the 2020 Volkswagen Passat’s front fascia. Volkswagen The 2020 Passat has a more rakish roofline and the grille is wider, with slimmer LED headlamps. The LED taillights are reshaped as well, and Volkswagen has added quad exhaust tips. While 17-inch wheels are standard, drivers can move up to 18- or 19-inch wheels, depending on model. The Passat has always had plenty of interior room, and thankfully, that hasn’t changed. V-Tex leatherette or Nappa leather are both available and the interior comes in your choice of four colors. Heated front and rear seats are available, as well. Volkswagen reading • 2020 Volkswagen Passat refresh focuses on style Detroit Auto Show 2019 Feb 4 • 2020 Kia Telluride: Detroit Auto Show debut turns Super Bowl ad star Feb 7 • Chevy’s full-scale Lego Silverado is plastic fantastic in Chicago As with the 2019 model, the Passat comes standard with forward collision warning and emergency braking, now with a new pedestrian monitoring system. Also standard is blind-spot monitoring and rear traffic alert, but adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist are both optional. A new Parking Steering Assist can automatically guide the Passat into a tricky parallel or perpendicular parking spot. Volkswagen’s aging MIB II infotainment system comes on a new glass-covered touchscreen. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both standard and a premium Fender stereo system is available. Unfortunately, because the Passat doesn’t move to Volkswagen’s scalable MQB platform, you can’t have it with the company’s excellent Digital Cockpit gauge display. Enlarge ImageThe Passat’s interior remains as roomy as it ever was. Volkswagen The Passat will still be powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, good for 174 horsepower. The good news is that a new torque converter and tuning ups the torque from 184 to 207 pound-feet of twist for 2020. The Passat puts power to the front wheels only, with a six-speed automatic transmission. When much of the competition sports an eight-speed transmission — heck, even the company’s own Jetta compact sedan has eight gears — the choice to not upgrade the gearbox is curious. Pricing has not yet been announced, but the 2020 Volkswagen Passat will be available in the summer of 2019. Detroit Auto Show: See all the latest coverage. Volkswagen: All the VW news from Detroit and beyond. May 14 • History of the Toyota Supra, a Japanese sports car legend 6 49 Photos More From Roadshow 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value • See All Share your voice 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Tags Comments 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Detroit Auto Show 2019 Volkswagen Jan 22 • Our highlights of the 2019 Detroit Auto Show
Iranian president Hassan Rouhani. Photo: ReutersIran is ready to “vigorously” resume nuclear enrichment if the United States ditches the 2015 nuclear deal, and further “drastic measures” are being considered in response to a US exit, Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned Saturday.Zarif told reporters in New York that Iran is not seeking to acquire a nuclear bomb, but that Tehran’s “probable” response to a US withdrawal would be to restart production of enriched uranium-a key bomb-making ingredient.“America never should have feared Iran producing a nuclear bomb, but we will pursue vigorously our nuclear enrichment,” added the foreign minister, who is in the United States to attend a UN meeting on sustaining peace.US president Donald Trump has set a May 12 deadline for the Europeans to “fix” the 2015 agreement that provides for curbs to Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for relief from financial sanctions.Zarif’s comments marked a further escalation of rhetoric following a warning earlier this month from Iranian president Hassan Rouhani that Washington would “regret” withdrawing from the nuclear deal, and that Iran would respond within a week if it did.The fate of the Iran deal will be a key issue during French president Emmanuel Macron’s state visit to Washington beginning Monday, followed by talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Washington on Friday.Zarif said the European leaders must press Trump to stick to the deal if the United States “intends to maintain any credibility in the international community” and to abide by it, “rather than demand more.”The foreign minister warned against offering any concessions to Trump.“To try to appease the president, I think, would be an exercise in futility,” he said.European leaders are hoping to persuade Trump to save the deal if they, in turn, agree to press Iran to enter into agreement on missile tests and moderating its regional influence in Yemen, Syria and Lebanon.If the United States buries the deal, Iran is unlikely to stick to the agreement alongside the other signatories-Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia — said the foreign minister.“That’s highly unlikely,” he said. “It is important for Iran to receive the benefits of the agreement and there is no way that Iran would do a one-sided implementation of the agreement.”Zarif, who will attend a UN meeting on sustaining peace this week, warned of “drastic measures” under discussion in Iran.He declined to be more specific, pointing to “what certain members of our parliament are saying about Iran’s options.”