EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Mikhail Prokhorov is interested in hearing from potential buyers for the Brooklyn Nets, but a spokesperson for the Russian billionaire said no sale is imminent.“As we have said for many months, ownership is always open to listening to offers — that’s just good business,” Ellen Pinchuk said in a statement. “There is nothing imminent in terms of a sale of any stake in the team.”That came in response to a report earlier Jan. 13 from Bloomberg News, citing two people with direct knowledge of the matter, that Prokhorov had retained Evercore Partners to sell the team.Prokhorov bought 80 percent of the team and 45 percent of Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2010. He said earlier this season he was willing to listen to offers for a minority share of the club but wouldn’t sell his majority stake.He had set a goal of winning a championship within five years, but the Nets have gotten nowhere close despite the NBA’s highest payroll. They are 16-22 this season, losers of six straight, a season after ESPN.com reported that the Nets’ basketball operations department lost $144 million.Prokhorov downplayed those losses when he last met with reporters before the Nets’ home opener in November.But he would have little problem making all of it back and more if he did sell at a time when franchise values are soaring, topped by the $2 billion Steve Ballmer paid for the Los Angeles Clippers last summer.Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he had just returned from a family vacation and didn’t know what was happening with the Nets, but that owning an NBA team was difficult.“It could be the ruble, it could be political issues (in Russia),” he said in Sacramento before the Mavericks played the Kings.“But it’s tough and it’s not an easy business. We all come in making promises of what we are going to do. Well, it took me 12 years to do what I said I was going to do,” Cuban added. “It’s just not easy and sometimes it gets frustrating.”___Associated Press writer Antonio Harvey in Sacramento, California, contributed to this reportTweetPinShare0 Shares
BLUE RIVER, B.C. – A wildlife tour company in Blue River, B.C., is facing charges for allegedly putting food out to attract bears.Chris Doyle, deputy chief of the B.C. Conservation Officer Service, said in a conference call Thursday that the service began its investigation last August after receiving a complaint.Doyle said charges were sworn in May against Blue River Safari, also known as River Safari, which offers jet boat and jeep tours for bear and wildlife viewing.He said the charges against the company include feeding dangerous wildlife and placing attractants for dangerous wildlife under the B.C. Wildlife Act.The allegations have not been proven in court and the company could not immediately be reached for comment.Doyle said a representative for Blue River Safari is expected to appear in a Clearwater court on Sept. 25.Blue River is near Wells Grey Provincial Park, about 80 kilometres from the Alberta boundary.Doyle said it’s much more common for people to unintentionally leave out attractants for bears than to feed them on purpose, but it can have the same effect of putting both human safety and the lives of bears in danger.
APTN National NewsThe Mohawk of Kahnawake and Kahehsatake fear for their hunting, fishing and harvesting territory.The Quebec government issued logging permits on lands in proximity of their reserve lands several years ago and they say without consultation.The courts issued an injunction halting any logging in the area until January 2016.A local town has joined the fight.APTN’s Danielle Rochette has the story.
Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has conceded that signing Nantes striker Emiliano Sala now seems unlikely, but has refused to give up hope.Sala has been impressive for Nantes this season, scoring 12 goals and providing 2 assists in 16 matches for the French Ligue 1 club.Cardiff boss Warnock was confident of capturing his signature in January but was left disappointed after Nantes hiked up his transfer fee.“We’re looking as best we can at where we can get players in really but at the moment, it looks very much like a loan market to us,” Warnock told Sky Sports.Report: Miguel Cardoso sacked again George Patchias – August 28, 2019 Miguel Cardoso has been sacked for the third time in 12 months.There is one thing that all football managers know, and that is, from…“But that might change. I think everything seems to change so dramatically at our club at times. I wouldn’t say it’s dead in the water, but it’s highly unlikely at the moment.“I’d like to think I’ve got one [deal to sign a player] close, but you just never know in the game.“It’s so difficult, the higher you go. The Championship was a little bit easier in January but in the Premier League, you’ve got to get the best in.”
Posted: October 7, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Pedestrian hospitalized with gunshot wound after fight with motorist in Del Cerro October 7, 2018 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A 57-year-old man suffered a gunshot to his right forearm while fighting a motorist who almost struck him Sunday morning in the Del Cerro community of San Diego, a police sergeant said.The victim told police he was walking southbound across the street in the 5200 block of Adobe Falls Road when he was almost struck about 1 a.m. by a white, four-door sedan, said San Diego police Sgt. Michael Tansey.“He exchanged words with the driver of the vehicle. The vehicle stopped and a Pacific Islander male exited the driver’s seat,” Tansey said. “The two became involved in a fight, and the victim was knocked unconscious.”The 57-year-old man regained consciousness and was taken to the hospital by an unknown citizen.He realized that he had been shot in the forearm while at an area hospital and was transferred to the hospital’s trauma unit, where he was treated for his injuries, he said.The suspect in connection with the shooting was described as a 6-foot, 2-inch tall Pacific Islander weighing 220 pounds with long hair. KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
WILMINGTON, MA — At last week’s Wilmington School Committee Meeting, Superintendent Dr. Glenn Brand announced that the district’s special education services will be evaluated by a third-party entity, Walker Consulting at the Walker Trieschman Institute.“[The Walker Trieschman Institute] is committed to improving outcomes for children and adolescents with disabilities by supporting the effectiveness and efficiency of services and settings in schools…,” explained Brand. “Under a structured approach, Walker Consultants will collaborate with our district to tailor their approach to our particular context and implement their data collection and analysis activities in a manner that is both respectful and fair.”“Walker Consulting will engage with students, staff, administrators, and families in data collection activities that include document reviews, observations, individual and group interviews, and surveys,” continued Brand. “The Consultants will analyze both quantitative and qualitative data in the development of their findings, perspective and recommendations.”The evaluation is expected to take begin around March 1 and be completed in mid-May.The final report will be made available to the public and its results will be presented at a future School Committee meeting.Alice Brown-LeGrand, the district’s Director of Student Support Services, selected Walker Consulting, in part, due to its recent evaluations of the Attleboro Public Schools, Watertown Public Schools, and Georgetown Public Schools. Walker Consulting is currently working with the school districts of Fall River and Wareham.The district is obligated to conduct a third-party evaluation after its completion of the state’s Coordinated Program Review.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSuperintendent Reorganizes Student Support Services Department; Special Education & Nursing Depts. To BenefitIn “Education”NEW ROLES FOR 3 FAMILIAR EDUCATORS: Shelia Burke, Leanne Ebert & Kevin Welch Named To Leadership PositionsIn “Education”Superintendent Brand Announces His TEN Goals For The 2019-2020 School YearIn “Education”
WILMINGTON, MA — According to the Middlesex North Registry of Deeds, 44 properties were sold in Wilmington during June 2019:Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related40 Properties Sold In Wilmington In AugustIn “Business”42 Properties Sold In Wilmington In JulyIn “Business”37 Properties Sold In Wilmington In MayIn “Business”
The Business Secretary has said that nationalisation of the Tata steel works is not the solution to the crisis. Sajid Javid made the comment in a statement issued shortly before he stepped on a plane to return to the UK from Australia.Javid insisted that the government is looking at all viable options to keep steel making continuing in Port Talbot. He added: I dont think nationalisation is going to be the solution because I think everyone would want a long-term viable solution.And if you look around Europe and elsewhere I think nationalisation is rarely the answer, particularly if you take into account the big challenges the industry faces. Prime Minister David Cameron will chair a meeting of key ministers on 31 March to discuss the crisis with at least 15,000 permanent jobs under threat. According to analysis conducted by IPPR think tank, some 40,000 jobs could be on the line if no buyer is found.Cameron has resisted calls from the Labour party to recall Parliament despite Opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn launching a petition calling on the prime minister to act to protect our steel industry. The petition has garnered over 37,000 signatures.Calls for a bail out intensifyCorbyn was the first senior Westminster politician to travel to Port Talbot, after cutting his holiday short. He warned that the government needs to step in. We need a steel industry in Britain. We need a manufacturing base to our economy in Britain, Corbyn told Sky News.If you leave it to market forces, we will end up with a Chinese-dominated steel industry in Europe, he added. There has to be intervention.Surely the function of government, the function of being Prime Minister or Business Secretary is where necessary to intervene to protect jobs and communities and this crucial industry. The Labour leader added that losing more than a century of steel making in towns and cities across Britain would be unacceptable.His call for intervention was echoed by fellow politicians, who pointed out the governments role in rescuing banks. This industry is as important to Wales, I would argue, as the banking sector is to the whole of the UK, Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood told BBC News. If the banks could be bailed out, then the steel industry should be bailed out too, she added.
Yanghee Lee. UNB file photoThe UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Myanmar Yanghee Lee has lamented the decades long cycle of violence perpetuated by the authorities against ethnic minorities in Myanmar, including Rohingya Muslims, reports UNB.In a statement following her visits to Thailand and Bangladesh last month, she also said talk of repatriating hundreds of thousands of Rohingyas anytime soon was premature.Lee said that what the Myanmar government claims to be the conduct of military or security operations was actually an established pattern of domination, aggression and violations against ethnic groups, according to a statement UNB received here from Seoul on Thursday.”Recent reports of attacks against civilians; against homes and places of worship; forcible displacement and relocation; the burning of villages; land grabbing; sexual violence; arbitrary arrests and detention; torture and enforced disappearances; are acts that have been alleged against the military and security forces for generations,” she said.”While reports from Rakhine State have rightly provoked international outrage; for many in Myanmar, they have elicited a tragic sense of déjà vu.”She said the atrocities committed against the Rohingyas in the aftermath of the 9 October 2016 and the 25 August 2017 attacks, have been repeatedly witnessed before, albeit not on the same scale of the recent attacks against the Rohingya.”I was told repeatedly by the other ethnic groups I spoke to — be they Kachin, Karen, Karenni, or Shan — that they have suffered the same horrific violations at the hands of the Tatmadaw over several decades and — in the case of some groups — continuing today,” Lee said.”In Thailand, representatives from different ethnic groups that I met expressed their concern that as the world’s attention is focused on the atrocities in Rakhine State, potential war crimes are being committed in Shan and Kachin State without so much as a murmur of disapproval from the international community.”Lee said that set against this background of violence in the ethnic areas of Myanmar, was a continuing erosion of democratic space.”The civilian government has failed to usher in a new era of openness and transparency and is instead persisting with repressive practices of the past.”Lee, who was informed by the Myanmar authorities last year she would no longer be allowed to visit the country on the grounds her reporting was unfair and biased, called on the democratic government to break with the repressive practices of the past, and to allow people who have fled their country to return home – to where they belong.But she added: “For returns to be ever realized in a way that is voluntary, safe, dignified and sustainable they must be treated as equals — citizens of Myanmar with all the rights that that status affords.”She said that while the government of Bangladesh had made it clear that no refugees would be forced back to Myanmar, the international community must pressure Myanmar to create conditions for their return before it is too late.”This must be done in a principled way that prioritizes the need for these people to be recognized as Rohingya and as citizens of Myanmar,” she said.Lee said that during her visit to a camp in Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh, she saw great anxiety and fear when speaking to refugees about the prospect of returning to Myanmar.”One mother said to me, ‘Our beautiful children were slaughtered. How can we go back?’ Refugees have been entirely excluded from conversations about their fate, and going forward they must be involved in a meaningful way.”Without equality, Myanmar will never be free from violence and the country’s tragic déjà vu will reverberate through the future as it has through the past. The cycle of violence must end, and Myanmar must be supported in implementing the profound and meaningful reforms that are so urgently needed.”Lee said she hoped to regain access to Myanmar. “I remain ready to work with the Government and other stakeholders to promote and protect the human rights of all people in Myanmar,” she said.
By Micha Green, AFRO Washington, D.C. Editor, email@example.comThe National Skills Coalition reported that middle-skills jobs, which requires a high school diploma but not four-year degree, make up the largest segment of the labor market in all 50 states, and that’s why Prince George’s County is taking the lead in the state of Maryland to ensure that there are more laborers for that sector.“Prince George’s County Public Schools is providing scholars a unique pathway to fulfill today’s demanding workforce requirements. It’s called the Youth Apprenticeship Program, the first of its kind in the state of Maryland,” the Youth Apprentice Program launch video said.Prince George’s County launched an apprenticeship program for high school students- the first of its kind in the state of Maryland. (Courtesy Photo)Middle-skill jobs include masonry, electrical and plumbing positions.With the Prince George’s County Public Schools Youth Apprenticeship Program, 11th graders will be eligible to apply for a trade of choice and, if selected, are plunged into their field training next to masters.“We made sure that they had this type of experiential learning so that it wasn’t just a textbook experience, that it was a hands on,” Jean-Paul Cadet, director of Career and Technical Education said in the Youth Apprenticeship Program launch video.Not only do the students begin doing hands on work, but during the summer between 11th and 12th grade, students will get the opportunity to work full time next to school district maintenance personnel and make a salary while at it. Upon graduation students are eligible to continue education at Prince George’s Community College and are guaranteed job placement by offering them preferential treatment to be hired for Prince George’s County agencies.As a master electrician and entrepreneur, Timothy Atchinson, a 2008 graduate of Crossland High School in Suitland, MD, emphasized the importance of trade training and work. graduate and master electrician and entrepreneur.“Going to a trade isn’t something that shouldn’t be a plan B. I really feel as though it should be a plan A. It gives you opportunities to go into a career that isn’t going to cost you hundreds of thousand of dollars with debt over the head graduating.According to the Prince George’s County Public Schools’ website, the Youth Apprenticeship Program application includes filling out a student application form, submitting a resume, current transcript and teacher evaluation form. The application is due March 12.For more information on the Youth Apprenticeship Program visit the Prince George’s County Public Schools website at https://www.pgcps.org.