Office space can influence productivityOn 4 May 2004 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos. Few people appreciate the importance of office space in improvingproductivity. But in a time of rapid organisational and technological change,HR’s potential to influence workspace design gives it a great opportunity toparticipate in business strategy. Frank Duffy, co-founder of international design consultancy DEGW, said HRhad the chance to work with IT, finance and corporate real estate to raiseproductivity through bricks and mortar. “The office says more about how you feel about your employees thananything else. This offers HR access to corporate strategy because it wouldhave to do it in corporation with others, specifically IT,” Duffy said. To make effective changes to office space, HR must communicate acrossdepartments to begin measuring efficiency, effectiveness and expression – themessages you wish to convey to through your office, he said. Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed.
Agency group Spicerhaart has signed up with smartphone-based deposits alternative Flatfair and will now offer the service via the company’s 100 lettings branches to its 15,000 landlords.Instead of taking a deposit, tenants pay a ‘membership fee’ equivalent to one week’s rent while landlords are covered for up to 12 weeks’ worth of rent. Tenants are still liable for any damages to the property and unpaid rent, sums that Flatfair recovers itself on behalf of the landlord.Benefits claimed by Flatfair,which is not an insurance-based product unlike many of its competitors, include faster damage payouts, access to a pool of more reliable tenants via its tenant scoring system, faster lettings, lower agent costs and fewer lengthy voids.“Many landlords are concerned that their property is not sufficiently protected by a tenancy deposit, particularly true in the light of the upcoming deposit-cap, and that lengthy void periods and penalties eat away at their rental yield,” says Spicerhaart’s Lettings Development Director Paul Sloan (left).“We were highly impressed with Flatfair’s innovative technology and how easy the platform was to use. We’re confident it’ll mean not only lower up-front costs for tenants but also help make our landlords’ properties more appealing.Flatfair, which was founded by former banker and analyst Franz Doerr in June last year, is the latest firm to join the ‘deposits alternative’ market.“We’re thrilled to have partnered with such a well-established and progressive estate agency group that supports deposit-free renting,” says Chairman Chris Phillips (right).“Deposit-replacement schemes have proved hugely popular in Germany and Switzerland and our simple, safe and customer-friendly alternative to deposits comes without the burdens and caveats of an insurance product. Our mission is to improve financial freedom in the residential property market through technology.”Other recent entrants into this market include former ZPG executive Jon Notley’s recently-launched ZeroDeposit which offers a very similar service plus more established players Reposit and Dlighted. proptech paul sloan Jon Notley Chris Phillips spicerhaart flatfair Franz Doerr March 27, 2018Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » Spicerhart signs up 100 branches with deposits alternative service Flatfair previous nextProptechSpicerhart signs up 100 branches with deposits alternative service FlatfairAgency group, which includes brands such as Haart, Darlows and Chewton Rose, will offer the service to its book of 15,000 landlords.Nigel Lewis27th March 201803,736 Views
A student from St Anne’s has been awarded £1,500 following his “humiliating” arrest for throwing a bottle of water to a protester earlier this year.The chief constable of Thames Valley Police apologised to the student this week for the “inconvenience” of the arrest, and offered compensation as an out of court settlement.Jonathon Leighton, a second year, was arrested and handcuffed, and held in a police station for several hours, on the 13th January. He had his fingerprints, DNA and photographs taken, and was released the next day at 5.15am.Leighton was arrested after he tried to throw a bottle of water to eco-protester Gabriel Chamberlain, who was protesting against the proposed development of Bonn Square.Leighton has called his treatment “humiliating”.He said, “the fact that I was handcuffed and held in a police cell is humiliating.“I wouldn’t wish it to happen to anybody else, which is why I think it is crucial to explore legal avenues and hold the police accountable for their actions.“I believe it was right to pursue the legal channel and tackle these injustices when they arise, or they will happen more often.”Leighton stated that he would be donating the money to “Thames Valley Climate Action”, an environmental action group which he was a part of, and that the payout would be used in future campaigns.Leighton stated that this should provide adequate justification to the taxpayer for the money he received from his payout.Local campaigner Sarah Horne was also involved in the Bonn Square protests and has spoken out in support of Leighton’s payout.She said, “unfortunately many people experience unlawful arrests, violence, and other oppression when they take peaceful direct action on climate change and other environmental and social issues.“Hopefully this result will remind the police that they are meant to be protecting the public, not harassing peaceful protesters.”Leighton said, “I opposed the way that [Chamberlain] was dealt with by the council.“I felt that it was very wrong they were stopping giving him food and water. I was more up in arms about that than the felling of trees.”Leighton stated that he was “very pleased” with the result, but nevertheless stated that the financial payout had not been his main priority.“It’s not so much about the money as about justice. What would have been justice for me would be if I hadn’t been arrested in the first place.“I wish there was a way I could complain to the police and be sure that my complaint would be taken on board, and the appropriate disciplinary action followed. But I couldn’t be sure of this.”After realising that he had grounds to make a legal complaint, Leighton’s solicitor wrote the Thames Valley Police to inform them of Leighton’sintension to make a claim through court.Within three months, the police responded that they would be prepared to offer an out of court settlement. At the time, Leighton stated that he police had “abused their powers” and has since insisted that his arrest was politically-motivated.He said, “what I experienced was blatant political policing; my actions were not so much against the law as against the police.”
Volunteers from LLWR and Framework partner GRAHAM Construction played their part in battling pollution on World Environment Day (WED) with a Beach Clean at Drigg, in west Cumbria.WED, a platform for raising awareness on urgent issues, from marine pollution and global warming to sustainable consumption and wildlife crime, has grown into a worldwide event since its inception in 1974, now spanning over 100 countries.LLWR has been running a poster campaign on its sites to highlight the blight of plastic pollution, which is the theme of WED this year.“The most discarded single use plastic items at LLWR are plastic bottles,” said Cath Giel, LLWR’s Head of Public Affairs.“We are asking our workforce to think about items they use out of habit, and if they really need to use them on a regular basis.“Are plastic straws and plastic cutlery really necessary, or could they be substituted for alternatives that are kinder to the Earth?“Takeaway coffee cups have a plastic liner that cannot be recycled cheaply or easily. Then we have the problem of plastic carrier bags that are discarded after one use when reusable bags are a viable alternative.“LLWR is an organisation that has been highly successful in espousing the recycling message in its core business, low level waste.“Surely we can all apply the same recycling principles to our own lives.”Elaine Woodburn, of GRAHAM Construction, who organised the Beach Clean, explained: “We just wanted to get involved to do our own little bit for the planet.”
On Sunday, following New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival2019’s final day, Dumpstaphunk made their way to Tipitina‘s for a special late-night performance. Up-and-coming guitar virtuoso Marcus King was the evening’s featured guest, joining the band for a series of covers and impressive improvisational exploration.Dumpstaphunk—comprised of Ivan Neville, Ian Neville, Tony Hall, Nick Daniels III, and Alvin Ford Jr.—opened up their show with a full-throttle double bass duel between Tony and Nick. Following approximately an hour of Dumpstaphunk’s firey-hot funk jams, the band invited up Marcus King for the remainder of their main set. With the addition of King, the funk warriors worked through “I’d Rather Be (Blind, Crippled and Crazy)”, a soul tune originally recorded in 1973 by O.V. Wright. Dumpstaphunk and King moved forward with choice covers, including B.B. King‘s “It’s My Own Fault”, the Allman Brothers Band‘s “Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’”, and a set-closing take on Led Zepplin‘s “Ramble On”.Watch pro-shot video of Dumpstaphunk’s Tipitina’s performance featuring special guest Marcus King below:Dumpstaphunk – Tipitina’s – 5/5/2019[Video: nugsnet]Next up for Dumpstaphunk is a performance at The Charleston Pour House in Charleston, SC on Thursday, May 23rd. A few weeks later, Dumpstaphunk will hit the road with George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic as a featured support act on the band’s expansive One Nation Under A Groove farewell tour. For a full list of Dumpstaphunk’s upcoming tour dates and ticketing information, head to the band’s website.
Governor-Elect Peter Shumlin today announced several staff appointments, including naming Susan Spaulding as Director of Constituent Services and Appointments to Boards and Commissions.Spaulding co-founded WNCS-FM radio station in Montpelier in 1977 with her husband Jeb, and has spent the past 25 plus years involved in public protection and public advocacy through medical licensure, continuing medical education, accreditation of medical schools in the United States and Canada. She lives in Montpelier. Jeb Spaulding previously was named by Shumlin to be his Secretary of Administration.Lisa Kunin has been named Executive Assistant to the Governor. Kunin served as an aide to former U.S. Sen. James Jeffords for 12 years, ultimately serving as Jefford’s Education Coordinator. She resides in South Burlington.Shumlin has appointed Aly Richards, who grew up in Newbury, as Assistant to the Chief of Staff. For the past two years Richards has been the Mid-Atlantic Deputy Finance Director at the Democratic National Committee in Washington, D.C. Previously she worked on the Obama Presidential Campaign.Leigh Appleby, who grew up in Norwich, has been named Constituent Correspondent. Appleby most recently worked as an aide to former U.S. Rep. Scott Murphy in Upstate New York.Ryan Emerson, a Newbury native, has also been tapped as Constituent Correspondent. Emerson was the Chittenden County field director for Shumlin for Governor campaign in the gubernatorial primary, as well as a regional field director for the Vermont Democratic Party in the general election.Shumlin also named Ariel Wengroff, who graduated from the University of Vermont earlier this year, as a Constituent Correspondent. She was an intern for Organizing for America here in Vermont until the summer of 2010, where she specialized in the advocacy and protection of Vermont constituents.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
South African double Olympic champion Caster Semenya beat seven high school athletes Friday in a 300-meter race, her first outing since being barred last July from her favorite event.”I am here to stay,” stressed media-shy Semenya after winning over the novel distance in Johannesburg. “Track and field, you will still see my face. That is all I can say for now.”Semenya won the race at the University of Johannesburg in 36.78 seconds with Taylor Bieldt (37.22) second and Kirsten Ahrems (38.36) third. The 29-year-old won 2012 and 2016 Olympic gold medals and three world titles over 800 meters, but can no longer compete at that distance because of a testosterone-related ruling.World Athletics banned Semenya and other differences of sexual development (DSD) athletes from races between 400m and a mile unless they take testosterone-reducing drugs.Semenya, who became a world champion for the first time in 2009 aged 18, refused to comply with the ruling and lost a legal battle to have it overturned.The World Athletics decision came after some international rivals of Semenya repeatedly complained that the South African had an unfair advantage over them. Topics : She could not defend her world crown in Qatar last year because of the IAAF ruling and will also miss the Tokyo Olympics this year unless she changes her mind and takes medication.The organizers of the Johannesburg invitation race said it was designed to give young athletes “a chance to watch, learn and be inspired by stars like Caster Semenya”.Semenya plans to debut as a footballer this year having signed for the Johannesburg-based JVW club, which is owned by South African female football legend Janine van Wyk.The star athlete trained with the club last year but could not play because she was signed after the registration deadline.
The move followed a previous announcement from the airline that it had furloughed about 800 workers for three months starting on May 14 in a bid to maintain the company’s finances before resuming normal operations.The COVID-19 outbreak has forced Garuda to park 100 of its 142 aircraft as its daily flights have dropped 70 percent because of the government’s large-scale social restrictions (PSBB).Consequently, in the first quarter of 2020, the airline recorded a 31.9 percent annual drop in passenger and cargo revenue.APG said the laid-off pilots had their rights fulfilled by the company. National flag carrier Garuda Indonesia has laid off 180 contract pilots, as well as hundreds of workers as the company continues to struggle financially amid a slump in demand for air travel, its workers association has said.The pilots, including senior and outsourced pilots working on a contract basis, have had their contracts terminated as the airline cuts back on flights, Garuda Pilot Association (APG) chairperson Muzaeni told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday. “There are a total of 180 pilots affected, of which 150 are contract workers sourced internally, mostly retired seniors aged 60 to 65 years old,” Muzaeni said in a phone interview. “The other 30 are externally sourced contract workers.” Muzaeni also said that in addition to the layoffs, Garuda had offered early retirement packages with added benefits for existing senior employees.“The company is offering early retirement packages for employees who are over 50 years old. The package is worth about 35 times monthly wages, more than the usual retirement package, which is worth 30 times monthly wages,” he said.Garuda Indonesia president director Irfan Setiaputra acknowledged the layoffs in a press release on Tuesday, while stating that the company had fulfilled its obligation to the affected pilots.“We have been forced to terminate the contracts of our workers in order to align our workforce with the demand for our flight operations, which are significantly affected by the pandemic,” he said.“It was a tough decision to make. However, we believe that Garuda can improve its operational condition and survive these challenging times,” Irfan added.Previously, Garuda Indonesia took several measures to maintain cash flow amid plummeting demand for air travel. The measures included cutting employee and executive salaries, cutting production costs for efficiency and renegotiating obligations to partners and aircraft lessors.Garuda Indonesia booked US$3.25 billion in short-term liabilities last year, including $498.9 million in sukuk (sharia compliant bonds), according to its 2019 financial report.As the company struggles to stay afloat, the government is set to give Rp 8.5 trillion ($597.6 million) in a working capital guarantee for the airline as part of the economic recovery stimulus package to stave off the impact of the pandemic, including on ailing state-owned companies.Topics :
A newly developed saliva test aims to determine in less than a second whether or not you are infected with the novel coronavirus, Israel’s largest medical center said on Thursday.Patients rinse their mouth with a saline wash and spit into a vial. This is then examined by a small spectral device that, in simple terms, shines light on the specimen and analyses the reaction to see if it is consistent with COVID-19.With machine learning it gets more accurate over time. The amount of virus present in saliva increases as patients get sicker, he said, and a big challenge is to detect in “people who are borderline”.”It will be a game changer only if we see validation of this technology against the current technology,” he said.Sheba, located just outside Tel Aviv, has partnered with the device’s developer, Israeli firm Newsight Imaging, to bring the system to market.The company said they are in the process of getting regulatory approval. Each test costs less than 25 cents and it expects the device will eventually cost less than $200.Topics : Eli Schwartz of the Center for Geographic Medicine and Tropical Diseases at Sheba Medical Center, who is leading the trial, said it was easier to use than PCR swabs commonly used to detect COVID-19.”So far we have very promising results in this new method which will be much more convenient and much cheaper,” he said.The center said in an initial clinical trial involving hundreds of patients, the new artificial intelligence-based device identified evidence of the virus in the body at a 95% success rate.Amos Panet, an expert in molecular virology at Jerusalem’s Hebrew University, said he would like to see more data and comparisons with existing tests before making a final judgment.