Djokovic has won 17 Grand Slam titles and returns to world number oneHe is clear-sighted about his goals: overtaking Nadal’s 19 Major titles and Federer’s 20 to become the all-time Grand Slam king, and outdoing the Swiss master’s record 310 weeks in the top ranking. Djokovic has so far clocked up 276 weeks as number one and could pass second-placed Pete Sampras’s 286 in April, and Federer’s 310 on October 5. “Obviously at this stage of my career, Grand Slams are the ones I value the most. They are the ones I prioritise,” said Djokovic, adding “there’s a lot of history on the line”. “Grand Slams are one of the main reasons why I am still competing and still playing full season, trying to obviously get the historic number one (record). That’s the other big goal,” he said. – ‘Huge win’ – With five Major titles in just over two years, and unbeaten by Nadal and Federer at the Grand Slams since 2014, there’s no question who’s now the leading member of the Big Three. The latest rankings tell the story at the top of men’s tennis: Djokovic is number one, Nadal, one year older at 33, is second and 38-year-old Federer is a relatively distant third. Novak Djokovic put Roger Federer on notice as he won his 17th Grand Slam title at the Australian Open and warned he was going all-out for the Swiss’s record of 20 – and his mark for weeks as world number one. Djokovic, who came through a mid-match slump to win his eighth title in Melbourne, is relentlessly totting up the victories that could soon end the debate over who’s the greatest in history. Serbia’s Novak Djokovic won his eighth Australian Open title on Sunday The five-set victory over Dominic Thiem was his eighth in eight finals in Melbourne, putting him alongside Federer and Nadal as the only men to win the same Slam eight times. It makes Djokovic, 32, the first man in the Open era, and only the second in history, to win Grand Slam titles in three different decades – and as a not-insignificant bonus, returns him to world number one. In an ominous sign for his rivals, the Serb has started the year unbeaten with Wimbledon, the French Open, the Tokyo Olympics and the US Open all lying in front of him as tantalising opportunities. Loading… Seven-time Major winner Mats Wilander said Djokovic’s win in Melbourne sets a marker for a year in which he could sweep all before him. “At the end of the year, we could have two players on 20 or two on 19 or even more because Novak can win all four,” he said. “This is a huge win for him going forwards. A loss here would have been very difficult to get confidence and come back. “But the door is open for him to start climbing through it and talk about being the greatest ever.” Djokovic beat Dominic Thiem in the Melbourne final Read Also: Aussie Open: Kenin stuns Muguruza to claim first Grand Slam title As he jets out of Melbourne, his name etched yet again on the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup, Djokovic warned that his confidence and expectations were soaring. “I’m super-happy with the way I started the season. It kind of sets the tone for the rest of the year,” he said. “To start off the season with a Grand Slam win significantly boosts your confidence and your expectations are quite high for the rest of the season. “But whatever happens, this season is already successful.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your Mind2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By Odeith7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your PhoneThe Most Exciting Cities In The World To VisitTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do10 Legendary Movies To Learn History From10 Bollywood Celeb Weight Loss Transformations That Will Stun YouWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?A Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made
Associated Press Illinois St. looks to extend streak vs Evansville February 27, 2020 For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com SUPER SENIORS: Evansville has relied heavily on its seniors this year. K.J. Riley, Sam Cunliffe, Artur Labinowicz and John Hall have combined to account for 56 percent of all Purple Aces scoring this season, though that figure has dropped to 72 percent over the last five games.CLUTCH COPELAND: Zach Copeland has connected on 38.9 percent of the 198 3-pointers he’s attempted and has made 14 of 39 over his last five games. He’s also made 78.3 percent of his free throws this season.WINLESS WHEN: Evansville is 0-16 this year when it scores 66 points or fewer and 9-5 when it scores at least 67.COLD SPELLS: Illinois State has dropped its last 11 road games, scoring 64.5 points and allowing 77.7 points during those contests. Evansville has lost its last eight home games, scoring an average of 61.9 points while giving up 71.9.DID YOU KNOW: Evansville is ranked second in the MVC with an average of 68.9 possessions per game, but that number has slipped to 65.4 possessions per game over their 17-game losing streak.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditIllinois State (9-20, 4-13) vs. Evansville (9-21, 0-17)Ford Center, Evansville, Indiana; Saturday, 2 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Illinois State looks for its 11th straight win in the head-to-head series over Evansville. Illinois State has won by an average of 9 points in its last 10 wins over the Purple Aces. Evansville’s last win in the series came on Jan. 15, 2016, a 66-55 win.
SANTA CLARA — John Lynch insisted Friday all is well atop the 49ers hierarchy, that his two-year term as general manager is not endangered and that his relationship with coach Kyle Shanahan is as strong as ever.“The notion we’re not working together couldn’t be further from the truth,” Lynch said on 95.7 The Game. “We have a tremendous working relationship. We’re great friends off field. There’s a lot of trust. We came into this together knowing there’d be tough times and it wouldn’t be easy, …
Bad blood marred an otherwise absorbing day of cricket on Tuesday with South African left-arm spinner Paul Harris accusing Indian pacer S Sreesanth of making personal remarks on home side captain Graeme Smith during an altercation in Durban.2nd Test: India fancy their chance at DurbanSreesanth and Smith appeared to exchange words and the South African captain pointed his bat at the Indian pacer shortly before his dismissal for 37 just before the tea break on the third day of the second Test at Kingsmead.”We all know that normally Smith never reacts on the ground but I am sure he must have something personal. If Sreesanth has done that it’s not great for him to do that. If he wants to do that he can do that,” Harris said at the post-match press conference.”The series is being played in good spirit. Remember number one and number two teams are playing against each other so you have to play hard, but you should not get personal,” he added.Indian batsman VVS Laxman, who hit a brilliant 96 on Tuesday, said he was not sure what had happened but defended Sreesanth, saying that South African bowlers had also done the same to the visiting batsmen.”It is a series between two top teams and in a tussle like that it’s bound to happen,” Laxman said.”It’s not only Sreesanth saying something to Graeme Smith but their bowlers have come at us hard. Both teams want to win badly. The intensity at which the game is being played is high.”advertisementWith inputs from PTI
Ranjan Sharma: I remember INDIA TODAY’s reporting of some matches in Sharjah a couple of years ago and how much praise was sung for Sachin. What happened after that?Rohit Brijnath: Sachin is still the best batsman in the world. It is absurd that people should ask him to give up,Ranjan Sharma: I remember INDIA TODAY’s reporting of some matches in Sharjah a couple of years ago and how much praise was sung for Sachin. What happened after that?Rohit Brijnath: Sachin is still the best batsman in the world. It is absurd that people should ask him to give up the captaincy because the rest of the team doesn’t bat well enough. It’s too early to decide whether he’s capable or not and switching captains just now would not help.The problem lies not in the head of Sachin Tendulkar but in the amateur style of the BCCI. A flawed system will produce a flawed team.Ashok Dutta: In view of the rout in Australia, is it not time to ban all commercial ads by the cricketers so that they concentrate more on the game and less on earning a quick buck? RB: I can understand your anger, and there are times all of us feel the cricketers get paid too much. But I think they are entitled to make the best living they can. After all, unlike almost any other profession they have a very short career span. In most sports, by the time you’re in your mid-30s your career is over.So banning them from commercial ads would not be just. However, if the players are getting Rs 90,000 per one-day match, that sum should be reduced to say Rs 60,000. But there should be a bonus clause – if they win they get an extra Rs 30,000.Dilip: Don’t you think Azhar would have been a better bet than the middle order in the team to Australia? advertisementRB: There is no doubt Azhar would have done better than some of our batsmen. The reason he was excluded has nothing to do with cricketing ability. Quite simply, many players don’t want to play with him.
Work is progressing on the Ferris to Mackfield roadway in Westmoreland, says Community Relations Officer at the National Works Agency (NWA), Western office, Janel Ricketts. Story Highlights Work is progressing on the Ferris to Mackfield roadway in Westmoreland, says Community Relations Officer at the National Works Agency (NWA), Western office, Janel Ricketts.Speaking to JIS News, Ms. Ricketts said the project is about 22 per cent complete, and that the US$24.9-million project is on track to meet the 18-month completion date.“We are engaged in quite a bit of activities. For example, there is significant excavation, and the road will be widened. We are clearing areas to make way for the wider thoroughfare, so there is significant filling of sections of the roadway,” she explained.The road reconstruction project, which commenced in April of this year, will not only see the 14-kilometre stretch of roadway being widened but there will also be improvement in the drains and pedestrian walkways.Ms. Ricketts also noted that activities geared towards improving drainage systems and the construction of retaining walls have commenced.“We are trying to clear the area as best as possible, so we can have the areas filled, and then, from there, move on to the asphalting. We are in the preliminary stage in terms of getting the roadway ready for filling and drainage improvement,” she added.She said that while recent rainfall in the parish hampered construction, contractors have been working diligently to make up for lost time, thereby ensuring that the completion deadline will be met.Ms. Ricketts pointed out that major changes have been put in place and are visible to motorists traversing the thoroughfare.“The roadway is already taking shape, so persons can see the new alignment on certain sections. For example, from the Ferris Cross end, persons are able to look and immediately visualise how the road will look. We have other sections, as well, where the excavation has now been completed and where there is filling, so we have gone quite a way in terms of that preliminary effort,” she outlined.The Ferris to Mackfield road construction, being managed by the National Works Agency (NWA), seeks to improve the north-south roads linking Savanna-la-Mar and Black River to Montego Bay.The project is being executed under the Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP) and is being undertaken by the China Harbour Engineering Company Limited (CHEC). “We are engaged in quite a bit of activities. For example, there is significant excavation, and the road will be widened. We are clearing areas to make way for the wider thoroughfare, so there is significant filling of sections of the roadway,” she explained. Speaking to JIS News, Ms. Ricketts said the project is about 22 per cent complete, and that the US$24.9-million project is on track to meet the 18-month completion date.
New Delhi: Eighty-three English teachers of Delhi University on Saturday released a statement condemning what they called “unacademic” and “politically motivated” attack on the syllabus. The syllabi of four subjects, including English, were referred back to the respective departments by the Executive Council of DU following protests from a section of teachers who alleged that they were “pro-Left”. The teachers said it was a “democratically drafted syllabus”, which involved faculty participation from around 40 colleges over a period of two years. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”It is a matter of sorrow and deep academic concern that the syllabus is now being maligned, and is sought to be scuttled, by certain political groups at the university,” the statement said. They said that “at every point, discussions were minuted and circulated to ensure a continuing of the democratic spirit in which the entire exercise was undertaken”. “The syllabus has received extensive student and faculty feedback since it has been on the department website for far longer than other subject syllabi,” the statement read. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsIn the English syllabus, new areas of study were introduced, and the syllabus was consciously decolonised to introduce students to a wide variety of writings in English, it said. The syllabus was carefully worked out to ensure a seamless progression from school curricula, transiting into postgraduate studies. In following of due process, the syllabus has received positive feedback from both national and international experts, it added.
Over the weekend, the Common Ground Foundation celebrated Oscar winner, activist, and musician Common at Perillo Rolls Royce in Chicago.The star studded gala and fundraiser featured a special performance from Common and John Legend of the Oscar-winning original song ” Glory” from Selma, along with a celebrity appearance from Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears. Funds raised at the gala supported Common’s organization The Common Ground Foundation.“I started the Common Ground Foundation because I wanted to help,” said Common. “Most of all help people to help themselves. I always believed that if we started with the youth then we would be planting the seeds for our future to blossom. Give the children a sense of hope, self-esteem, and love that will better the world… I think making a difference in the lives of others is life’s greatest purpose. I walk this path with faith knowing that the Common Ground Foundation will Change the World.”The Common Ground Foundation serves youth ages 13-17 from Chicago’s South and West Side communities. The organization focuses on character development, creative expression, nutrition, and money management. The organization helps youth find their voice and make positive contributions to society.Visit The Common Ground Foundation website to learn more.Copyright ©2015Look to the Stars
APTN National NewsThe Mohawk of Kahnawake and Kahehsatake fear for their hunting, fishing and harvesting territory.The Quebec government issued logging permits on lands in proximity of their reserve lands several years ago and they say without consultation.The courts issued an injunction halting any logging in the area until January 2016.A local town has joined the fight.APTN’s Danielle Rochette has the story.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Swanson Lumber Road is closed in both directions at the CN rail cross after a derailment.Overnight Thursday one rail car left the tracks and crews from CN are currently assessing how to remove the train.The rail car that left the tracks is on the Swanson Lumber Road and particularly in the ditch.There is no estimate on when the road will be open.