Picture courtesy of Paddy McGrathGAA star Paddy McGrath has blasted Donegal County Council – over a pothole that almost put him off the road.The Ardara man took to Twitter last night, showing a picture of the pothole which blew a tyre and wrecked a wheel on his car.“It happened near Meenaroy,” Paddy later told Donegal Daily. “I was driving from Fintown to Letterkenny at the time and I hit the pothole and the tyre just burst.“I’m told I’m not the first to hit it and it makes you wonder why you pay all these taxes. It’s just a disgrace.”No-one from Donegal County Council was immediately available for comment last night. GAA STAR PADDY BLASTS COUNCIL AFTER POTHOLE BLOWS TYRE IN HIS CAR was last modified: November 26th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ArdaraPaddy McGrathpothole
Though Guy Kawasaki basically invented Apple evangelism, now he’s an Android devotee. At last week’s ReadWrite Mix event, Kawasaki explains his technology choices to ReadWrite editor-in-chief Dan Lyons. eliot weisberg What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Related Posts The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Tags:#Android#iOS#ReadWrite Mix#video
England Test captain Joe Root is expected to be fit for the first ODI against Australia on Sunday in Melbourne.Root has been making steady progress after falling ill during the fifth Ashes Test. He was taken to the hospital to recieve treatment for gastroenteritis but since then has made ready progress and has returned to training on Wednesday.The 27-year-old was forced to retire hurt on the final day in the Sydney defeat that gave Australia a 4-0 Test series. But he has come back and Jos Buttler said that he is better than before.WATCH”He’s obviously a lot better than he was on Monday,” England wicketkeeper Jos Buttler was quoted saying by the Australian Associated Press.”He’s up and about so I think a few more days and his bug should have gone. He’s a huge part of our side so we’re desperate for him to be fit and well. I’m sure he will rest up and try and get his energy back.”However, he has been asked to take some rest and skip this year’s Indian Premier League ahead of the home Test series against India and Pakistan by England coach Trevor Bayliss.Root, however, remains keen to play in limited overs competitions to prepare himself for the next year’s 50-over World Cup in England.”We had that discussion a few days ago, I suggested to him that he shouldn’t play, that he should have a break,” Bayliss was quoted as saying by British media on Tuesday.advertisement”He feels that whenever he’s had a break in the last couple of years, it’s always been a T20 series. He wants to play in 50-over World Cups and T20 World Cups.”He thinks if he keeps missing all the T20 cricket he’s just going to fall behind and not be up to speed when those come along. There are difficult decisions to make.”England are scheduled to play five one-day internationals against Australia followed by a Twenty20 tri-series with the hosts and New Zealand which starts on February 3.(With inputs from Reuters)ALSO WATCH:
Please find attached the job description. For enquiries or further information, please email [email protected] or call 0419 287 024.Applications close 5.00pm on Wednesday, 1 February 2012. Related Filessops_sport_operations_positions-pdf
EDMONTON – A judge in Edmonton has declared a career criminal whose violent attacks go back decades a dangerous offender.Lance Blanchard, 60, was in court Friday to hear the decision by Justice Eric Macklin.“I have reached the conclusion that Mr. Blanchard is a dangerous offender and poses a high risk for both violent and sexual recidivism,” Macklin said in court. “I am satisfied that Mr. Blanchard constitutes a threat to the life, safety and physical well-being of other persons in the community.“He has shown a pattern of repetitive behaviour.”With the designation, Blanchard will spend an indefinite time in prison and won’t be eligible for parole unless he gets treatment that shows he can safely be managed in the community.Blanchard was convicted in 2016 of kidnapping and sexually assaulting an Indigenous woman who was jailed to ensure her testimony. The woman was also made to ride on at least one occasion in the same van taking her accuser to the courthouse.Tom Engel, Blanchard’s lawyer, said he’s not surprised by the dangerous offender designation.“It appeared that the die was cast a long time ago for him to be DO’d,” he said outside court. “Speaking for Mr. Blanchard, who obviously maintains that he was innocent of the charges that he was found guilty on, he has waited a long time to file an appeal on those convictions.“He couldn’t do so until this matter was complete.”Despite the possibility of an appeal in the 2016 case, the prosecutors were content with the dangerous offender status for Blanchard.“This is the ruling that was sought by the Crown, this is the ruling that protects society from the future risk of Mr. Blanchard,” Crown prosecutor Chantelle Washenfelder said.“It’s been a long, complicated prosecution but the road for the prosecution has been much, much shorter than that of the victims … who have suffered for over 40 years carrying the scars from the actions of Mr. Blanchard.”His convictions include no less than 10 violent offences, including at least two sexual assaults, that date back to the 1970s.One of Blanchard’s early victims was permitted to give a last-minute victim impact statement Friday before the judge delivered his decision.The man, who was 10 when he was beaten and sexually assaulted in a hotel after he went to get a treat from the lobby, testified that his life changed dramatically after the attack in 1978.“This was supposed to be a happy time,” he said in court.The man, who cannot be identified due to a publication ban, said Blanchard cornered him in the elevator and took him to the top floor, where he forced him out of the elevator and sexually assaulted him.“I was terrified and crying uncontrollably,” he recalled.Blanchard then forced him to remove his clothes and began beating him repeatedly.“The beating seemed to go on forever,” said the man, who was visibly upset. “When he stopped, I laid slumped over barely conscious. I remember seeing the chocolate bar that I was so excited about, laying in front of me in a pool of my blood.”After Blanchard left, he said he managed to get back to the room and could only tell his dad “that it was a big man.”He said he spent a couple weeks in the hospital recovering from his injuries, but noted they were nothing compared to the mental and emotional injuries.“My life and the lives of those close to me have been greatly impacted by Blanchard,” he said. “I have followed the updates over the years, and have been deeply saddened to learn of other victims.“It’s too late to change my story, but I feel that I have a responsibility to speak out and try to prevent this from happening to anyone else.”The Indigenous woman wasn’t able to testify in the dangerous offender hearing for Blanchard because she had died in an unrelated accidental shooting.
BLUE RIVER, B.C. – A wildlife tour company in Blue River, B.C., is facing charges for allegedly putting food out to attract bears.Chris Doyle, deputy chief of the B.C. Conservation Officer Service, said in a conference call Thursday that the service began its investigation last August after receiving a complaint.Doyle said charges were sworn in May against Blue River Safari, also known as River Safari, which offers jet boat and jeep tours for bear and wildlife viewing.He said the charges against the company include feeding dangerous wildlife and placing attractants for dangerous wildlife under the B.C. Wildlife Act.The allegations have not been proven in court and the company could not immediately be reached for comment.Doyle said a representative for Blue River Safari is expected to appear in a Clearwater court on Sept. 25.Blue River is near Wells Grey Provincial Park, about 80 kilometres from the Alberta boundary.Doyle said it’s much more common for people to unintentionally leave out attractants for bears than to feed them on purpose, but it can have the same effect of putting both human safety and the lives of bears in danger.
APTN National NewsThe latest edition of Rolling Stone online issued Tuesday features a full-length article on Justin Trudeau who talks about growing up with a father who was the prime minister, his rise to power and how a charity boxing match with Senator Patrick Brazeau “wasn’t random,” and that he saw it as “the right kind of narrative” for the Liberal party.At the time of the fight, Trudeau was the leader of the Liberal party with 34 seats in the house of commons.The two squared off in a cancer fundraiser match in Ottawa March of 2012.Brazeau, covered in tattoos, and sporting long black hair seemed to be the overwhelming favorite.When the bell rang, Trudeau finished Brazeau off to win the match.The Rolling Stone article suggests the match suited Trudeau and the Liberals.“It wasn’t random,” Trudeau said. “I wanted someone who would be a good foil, and we stumbled upon the scrappy tough-guy senator from an indigenous community. He fit the bill, and it was a very nice counterpoint. I saw it as the right kind of narrative, the right story to tell.”The Rolling Stone article titled, Justin Trudeau: The North Star, includes a comparison between Trudeau’s policies and that of Trump, his penchant for public appearances and how he approaches international relations.The article is hitting the news stands in August. Patrick Brazeau sent a response to the Trudeau comment on the fight. “I’ll take it as a compliment,” he wrote. Contact APTN National News here: [email protected]
Beverly AndrewsAPTN NewsA building that was once the Mohawk Institute Indian Residential School is being renovated in southern Ontario.And during the construction workers uncovered certain things within the walls that speak of the buildings history that closed in 1970.Hidden under a stairwell were signatures and writings of young girls.Dawn Hill first saw the writings in a virtual tour of the building last year.She immediately noticed her mom’s name, Hazel Vanevry.“My family knew that she was there. Two of my an aunts were there as well. So seeing that on the wall was pretty tough … it was hard,” said Hill.Her mom came to school in 1934 at the age of nine. She left when she was 16.The writings have been carefully removed from their original location for preservation and will be part of the building’s future as the Woodland Culture Centre in Brantford, Ont.“We can’t ever forget what that history was, and we can’t ever deny what that history was because that historical trauma that was visited upon this First Nation community has really impacted not just that person, it has filtered down to generation after generation,” said Hill.The building is scheduled to be open in [email protected]
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Swanson Lumber Road is closed in both directions at the CN rail cross after a derailment.Overnight Thursday one rail car left the tracks and crews from CN are currently assessing how to remove the train.The rail car that left the tracks is on the Swanson Lumber Road and particularly in the ditch.There is no estimate on when the road will be open.
Sophomore Kyle Skinner gets ready to serve the ball on at the game on Jan. 18 at St. John Arena in Columbus. Credit: Ethan Clewell | Senior Lantern ReporterFollowing a trip to the West Coast, the Ohio State men’s volleyball team will try and earn a win after losing three straight when the Buckeyes travel to Missouri to take on Lindenwood Friday, and Quincy on the road in Illinois Saturday. The Buckeyes (4-8, 0-2) are looking for their first win since their four-set victory against Lincoln Memorial at home on Feb. 2. They’ve lost nine straight sets since then to then-unranked Purdue Fort Wayne, No. 6 UC Santa Barbara and No. 1 Long Beach State. Ohio State is also going for its first league win after losses to the Mastodons and then-No. 13 Ball State earlier this season.Head coach Pete Hanson said he’s trying to get his young team to find ways to keep momentum when the match is on the line. “We’re still just making some young errors at really critical times that can keep momentum going,” Hanson said. “A lot of times, that’s what this game is all about: Can you keep a scoring run going or can you stop a scoring run by the other team? We’re just struggling to kind of find ways to get those two things accomplished and a lot of that is youth right now.” Both the Lions and the Hawks share identical records with the Buckeyes. Lindenwood (4-8, 0-2) comes into the match on Friday fresh off losses to No. 10 Lewis and then-No. 8 Loyola Chicago. The Lions are led by redshirt sophomore Charley Hlavin, who has accounted for 103 kills, 52 digs and six aces this season. The Lions and the Buckeyes have had two common opponents this season: Penn State and Saint Francis. Both teams are 1-1, with the Buckeyes having beaten Penn State at home, while the Lions have a five-set road win against the the Red Flash. Quincy (4-8, 0-2) will face the Buckeyes Saturday after having played against league foe McKendree two nights before. The Hawks are currently on their own three-match losing streak, featuring straight-set defeats against then-No. 8 Loyola Chicago and No. 10 Lewis and a four-set loss to Lourdes. The Hawks are led by junior outside hitter Omari Wheeler, who has amassed 160 kills, 60 digs and eight aces this season. Both the Buckeyes and the Hawks fell in straight-sets to their only common opponent: No. 1 Long Beach State. Ohio State will have to lean on the youth on its roster to come up big this weekend. Injuries to major contributors such as senior setter Sanil Thomas and sophomore opposite hitter Jake Hanes have given some younger players more opportunities. Freshman outside hitter Jack Stevens, a serving specialist for the Buckeyes, said he’s been learning a lot from the upperclassmen about how to adjust to playing at the collegiate level. “All the older guys have taught me a lot about just the hard work and dedication it takes to succeed at this level, whether it’s in the practice gym, the weight room, or in the classroom,” Stevens said. “All these guys have been working hard for four or five years. It’s really cool to learn from them.” Ohio State will face Lindenwood at 8 p.m. Friday in Saint Charles, Missouri, and Quincy at 8 p.m. Saturday in Quincy, Illinois.