News July 15, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ban on electronic media partnerships with foreign press March 12, 2021 Find out more ChinaAsia – Pacific A ban on partnerships between Chinese electronic media and foreign media groups, introduced on 13 July, “jams the brakes on liberalisation initiatives begun last year and once again shows that the Chinese government is bent on keeping the press firmly under its yoke,” Reporters Without Borders said todayThe new regulation, drawn up by the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) and posted on its website, says radio and TV companies are not allowed to rent their channels to foreign companies, co-operate with them on joint projects, or launch joint-venture radio and television programmes or live broadcasts. The launching of dozens of new electronic media companies in China offered a promising market in which foreign news media such as Viacom, Sony Pictures and Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation have been scrambling to invest. Joint ventures and the broadcasting of foreign programmes were allowed last year without any change in the ban on foreign involvement in news programmes.Concern about the foreign media’s growing influence in China had led the authorities to impose an initial restriction in March in which each foreign media group was limited to no more than one contract with a Chinese media company. Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News ChinaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on China News Organisation April 27, 2021 Find out more China’s Cyber Censorship Figures News RSF_en to go further Help by sharing this information China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison June 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts
Northern Foods’ bakery division’s performance improved in the first half of the year, according to its interim results statement. Revenue increased to £97.6m from £91.4m for the 2007/08 period. Profit from operations also rose to £6.5m compared to £4.4m last year.“Selling prices increased by 4% as we successfully recovered commodity inflation, and volumes increased by 2.8%,” said the statement. The company added that the premiumisation of the Fox’s brand has helped drive operating margin improvement. “Biscuits represent a significant opportunity for Northern Foods with our commitment to invest in the Fox’s brand showing early benefits.”It said Christmas retailer orders for puddings were encouraging. “In the second half, we are launching a range of sponge puddings, including a new brand, ‘Scrummie’, to help support our all-year-round business,” said the statement.The company’s total revenue rose 6.8% to £468.6m (2007/08: £438.6m), but profit before tax fell to £16.9m from £20.1m last year, which it stated was due to currency and pension changes and investment in its brands.
Valaris, offshore drilling contractor with the world’s largest fleet, has filed for bankruptcy protection in an attempt to restructure its debt. Valaris said on Wednesday that it voluntarilyfiled for a Chapter 11 financial restructuring in the United States BankruptcyCourt for the Southern District of Texas. “Valaris will continue to serve our customers uninterrupted through this process, delivering safe and reliable operations, through its highly-capable rig fleet. “We have taken several steps to right-size and streamline our organization in line with our goal to be the offshore drilling cost leader. Now, we intend to use this restructuring to complement these measures to create a stronger financial structure for the company. Valaris also faced delisting from the New York Stock Exchange in April after its stock fell under $1. As far as the restructuring process is concerned, the company entered into restructuring agreements with approximately 50 per cent of its noteholders, to undergo “a financial restructuring that is intended to reduce its debt load substantially, support continued operations during the current lower demand environment, and provide a robust financial platform to take advantage of market recovery over the long term“. According to the offshore driller, it aims to pursue an efficient restructuring process and exit Chapter 11 “as soon as possible” and is confident that a comprehensive financial restructuring is “in the best interest of the company and its stakeholders in the long-term”. Valaris added that would work with itsother creditors and stakeholders who have not signed the restructuring supportagreement to advance the company’s efforts to restructure its balance sheet. The agreement will fully equitize thecompany’s pre-petition revolving credit facility and unsecured notes, a fullybackstopped rights offering to noteholders for $500 million of new securednotes, the effective cancellation of existing equity interests in the companyin exchange for, in certain circumstances, warrants for post-emergence equityand payment of trade claims in full in cash. “We appreciate the continued support of all of our stakeholders throughout this process, particularly our employees who continue to provide excellent service to our customers amid challenging market conditions […]”. It claims that it will have “one of the best balance sheets in the offshore drilling industry” after consummation of the contemplated restructuring transactions. Tom Burke, president and CEO of Valaris, said: “The substantial downturn in the energy sector, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, requires that we take this step to create a stronger company able to adapt to the prolonged contraction in the industry and to continue to enhance our position as overall market conditions improve. In related company news, Valaris booked a $3 billion loss in the first-quarter over rig impairments. During the spring, the company faced terminations for several of its drilling contracts on two occasions. Valaris further stated that it wasconfident of running its business normally since it has around $175 million incash. Also, certain noteholders will provide the company with an additional$500 million of liquidity, with an option to have no cash interest, to supportits operations throughout the Chapter 11 process.
BY MAE SINGUAY AND DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGA An arraignment hearing has been set on July 10 at 8:30 a.m. Last July 7, 2019 the Yanson 4, backed by security guards of A-Y 76 Security Specialists, Inc., took possession and control of VTI’s main office. BACOLOD City – A municipal trial court in this city issued warrants of arrest against four Yanson siblings and several others charged with grave coercion after assuming the management of Vallacar Transit, Inc. (VTI), the country’s largest bus company. Bayona, in a March 20 order, found probable cause against the so-called “Yanson 4” and several others for the takeover of VTI from incumbent president Leo Rey Yanson last year. Bayona recommended a bail of P36,000 for each of the respondents for their temporary liberty. The charge was also bailable, he added. Judge Abraham Bayona of the Municipal Trial Court Branch 7 issued warrants of arrest against Emily Yanson, Roy Yanson, Ricardo Yanson Jr., and Maria Lourdes Celina Yanson Lopez, as well as Jerica Leanne Ramos, Jerina Louise Ramos, Ma. Judy Alcala, Police General Noli Romana, and Police Colonel Jomil John Trio. Founded by the late Ricardo Yanson Sr. and wife Olivia, the 52-year old VTI is the company behind Ceres Liner, Ceres Tours, Sugbo Transit and Sugbo Tours with a fleet of 4,800 buses nationwide and 18,000 employees. However, the legal counsel of the so-called “Yanson 4” denied this. The Yanson 4’s legal counsel Carlo Joaquin Narvasa said in a statement that a hearing of a case for grave coercion was indeed conducted but he denied that a warrant of arrest was issued. Narvasa further explained that the issuance of a warrant of arrest, if any is forthcoming, does not at all detract from the presumption of innocence of the four Yanson siblings – a basic constitutional right of anyone charged in court. It provides transport services to 700,000 passengers in Bacolod City, Iloilo city and province, Dumaguete City and Negros Oriental, Cebu city and province, Cagayan de Oro City, Butuan City, Davao, Pagadian City, Dipolog City, Bohol and Batangas provinces./PN
Away from the rink, Aaron works out and hangs out with the guys. His favourite foods are tacos and sushi.His TV choices are Modern Family and The Office. His movie selections are Finding Nemo and Anchor Man. Will Farrell gets the nod as favourite actor. Rappers M&M and L’il Wayne provide his listening pleasure, though he admits to liking some country sounds as well.The San Jose Sharks are his favourite NHL team, and Joe Thornton is his favourite player. He came to Nelson via a BC-wide elite training camp. When the 18-year-old was cut from the squad, former Leaf Nik Newman, who also attended the camp, suggested Nelson as an alternative option. “Lapper” skates at right wing on a line with Bryce Nielsen.James Sorrey has centred the American wingers for the last two weeks.The 6-foot, 180-pound Dunlap names his parents, brother and grandpa as the most important people in his hockey development. Dunlap credits his parents and his grandpa, as well as his grandma, who is now deceased, for helping his philosophy and general approach to life. Leaf program writer George Millar has been treating KIJHL fans with an inside look of players on the Green and White for years.Now Millar has graciously accepted an offer to give that same insight to readers of The Nelson Daily.Today Millar looks at forward Aaron Dunlap who joins a long list of great Leaf players from Alaska.Aaron Dunlap, who answers to “Lapper” and “Dunnie,” hails from Anchorage, Alaska. Dunlap’s best hockey experience occurred a few years ago when his team had an undefeated season and went to the US Nationals.His worst was last year, when his midget team was expected to win the Nationals, but ran into penalty trouble — a biased ref is Dunlap’s evaluation — in the regional finals and lost to a team they had previously beaten. Part of Dunlap’s pre-game ritual includes sharing some suchi with Nielsen and Damin Devlin, and listening to L’l Wayne.His dressing for games always begins with his socks. He will tell you that he’s a nice guy and approachable, and that he likes to have fun. Dunlap, with nine goals and eight assists, has set goals for this year to improve his play so he can move up to an A-level next year, and to have fun while he plays.Five years from now he hopes to be playing NCAA Division 1 hockey with the University of Alaska. In ten years, he expects to be a firefighter and a family man.
ARCADIA, Calif. (May 21, 2015)–Rodney Orr’s Raised a Secret took command turning for home and posted an impressive two length win in Thursday’s $60,000 allowance feature at Santa Anita. Ridden by Rafael Bejarano and trained by Mark Glatt, Raised a Secret was a close third midway around the far turn in a field of seven 3-year-olds and up en route to getting 6 ½ furlongs in 1:15.24.“It was good!” said an animated Bejarano, who notched his second win of the day. “He was quick from the gate but when he gets the lead, he’ll put his ears back and he doesn’t want to go anymore, so I waited as long as I could. At the top of the stretch, I could see the six (eventual runner-up Caminetto) was coming back to us, so I wanted to just take off and put a few lengths between us and the rest of the field.”A 5-year-old Kentucky-bred horse by Songandaprayer, Raised a Secret improved is overall mark to 21-4-7-6, and with the winner’s share of $46,800, increased his earnings to $341,332.“He laid a little closer today and he had two horses in front of him dueling pretty hard,” said Glatt. “They went 21 and they shaded 44, so it kinda fell in his lap. I was a little scared when he made the lead because sometimes he’ll pull himself up, but they weren’t coming good enough so he was able to get the win.”Ridden by Martin Garcia, Caminetto overtook 2-1 favorite Seeking the Sherif approaching the quarter pole but was no match for the winner through the drive. The second choice at 2-1, Caminetto finished a half length in front of Midnight Transfer and paid $3.80 and $2.80.Midnight Transfer, who was fourth at the top of the lane, held off the on-rushing Airfoil by a half length for third money and paid $3.20 to show.Fractions on the race were 21.68, 43.92 and 1:08.50.First post time at Santa Anita on Friday is at 4 p.m. Admission gates will open for simulcast wagering at 11 a.m.