Make a comment Community News Name (required) Mail (required) (not be published) Website Business News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * More Cool Stuff First Heatwave Expected Next Week Community News 3 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Sports Caltech Cross Country Serves Notice in Season Opener From GoCaltech.com Published on Tuesday, September 6, 2016 | 2:00 pm The Caltech cross country team’s mass infusion of new talent served immediate notice of its presence with a spectacular season-opening performance at the Redlands Invitational on Saturday.ResultsRookies Nikhil Poole (Arcadia, Calif. / Flintridge Prep) and Simon Ricci (Chicago, Ill. / Latin School of Chicago) placed first and second overall to lead the men’s team to a decisive victory over the University of Redlands, which had been picked to finish one spot above the Beavers in the SCIAC Preseason Coaches Poll. Freshman Sophie Walton (Emerald Hills, Calif. /Sequoia) also beat out every Bulldog to pace the women’s side to a third-place finish among five teams.“Our improved depth was on display in both races,” Head Coach Ben Raphelson said. “That’s certainly the biggest change coming into this year. We have a few more important people to add to the mix, so our prospects look promising.”The men’s squad ran conservatively in the early stages of the race before kicking into gear toward the halfway point and closing strong. Whereas just two Beavers cracked 20 minutes at last year’s race, a whopping seven broke the barrier to open this season, with Caltech’s third-through-seventh runners all beating out the third-place runner for Redlands.Poole and Ricci recorded a seven-second victory margin while sophomore Rohan Choudhury (Cupertino, Calif. / Monta Vista), who had run the second-fastest time at the course in his collegiate debut last season, posted a seven-second improvement while classmates Joey Hong (Campbell, Calif. / King’s Acad.) and Michael Hashe (Plano, Texas / Texas Acad. of Math & Science) also showcased significant gains over the past year, shaving 31 seconds and 1:35, respectively. Freshmen Greg Gephart (Reno, Nev. / Robert McQueen), Gianmarco Terrones (McLean, Va. / The Potomac School), Tommy Alford (Dublin, Ohio / Dublin Coffman) and Tanner Moore (Roseville, Calif. / Oakland) finished in consecutive order from seventh through 11th with Choudhury as just 21 seconds separated the pack, while rookie Sam Blazes (Seattle, Wash. / Sidwell Francis) was just off the pace in 14th place.“I thought our first-years ran with a lot of poise,” Raphelson said. “That, along with their ability to execute a race plan effectively, impressed me more than their finishing times or places.”Walton hung off a fast early pace in the women’s race and ran a strong second mile to close the gap and vault into contention, running a full minute faster than last year’s top Beaver finisher.“Sophie showed great patience early and made a really bold move in the second mile,” Raphelson said. “It was great to see her debut in a Caltech uniform with a positive performance.”Sophomore Cherie Jia (Auckland, New Zealand / Auckland Int’l Coll.), running her first competitive race at any level, debuted with a solid 23rd-place finish while another trio of freshmen – Michelle Zhao (San Diego, Calif. / Canyon Crest Acad.), Nicole Feng (Bethany, Conn. / Amity Regional) and Skye Reese (Concord, N.H. / Concord) – placed 28th-31st. Junior Robin Brown (Potomac, Md. / Richard Montgomery) led the returners with a massive improvement of nearly two minutes from her debut time last year.“Our women’s team could be the most improved in the conference,” Raphelson said. “I think we’ve tried to lay the foundation for this the last few years, but it was a pretty stark contrast to our team performance here a year ago.”Raphelson and the Beavers participate in the Biola Invitational in Fullerton this Saturday, Sept. 10 before a three-week layoff leading up to the SCIAC Multi-Duals, which take place two weeks earlier this season.“This was a good start and a fun way to kick off the racing season, but I think it’s safe to say that everyone is hungry for greater performances down the road,” Raphelson said. Herbeauty6 Trends To Look Like A Bombshell And 6 To Forget AboutHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyThe Most Heartwarming Moments Between Father And DaughterHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHow To Lose Weight & Burn Fat While You SleepHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyStop Eating Read Meat (Before It’s Too Late)HerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Strong Female TV Characters Who Deserve To Have A SpinoffHerbeautyHerbeauty faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyCitizen Service CenterPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Top of the News Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Subscribe Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy
Embed from Getty Images Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York As a presidential candidate, Donald Trump called for a ban on Muslims entering the country, proclaimed that Islam hates the United States, and admitted months later that his proposed ban had morphed into “extreme vetting from certain areas of the world.”Trump’s controversial remarks about a religion worshiped by 1.6 billion people worldwide endeared him further to his supporters, but those same words are coming back to haunt him now that he’s president. In a stinging rebuke to his second attempt to block mostly Muslim immigrants from entering the United States, U.S. District Court Judge Derrick Watson in Hawaii placed a temporary hold on the president’s executive order just hours before it was to go into effect. Overnight, a federal judge in Maryland overseeing a separate challenge to the ban put a hold on the order’s 90-day prohibition for new visas. Watson’s sweeping decision marks yet another blow to the young administration’s attempt to restrict travel among immigrants, 15 months after then-candidate Trump first proposed his now infamous Muslim ban. The executive order, which was signed March 6, would’ve prohibited for 90 days the issuance of new visas from six Muslim-majority countries and put a hold on the nation’s entire refugee resettlement program. Watson not only considered the executive order as written, but surprisingly, its intent, which he ruled violated the establishment clause of the U.S. Constitution prohibiting religious hostility. The ruling is a win for not only the state of Hawaii, whose state attorney general sued the administration, but also civil rights groups who’ve remained adamant that the bans were implicitly biased against Muslims. “[T]he Executive Order causes harm by stigmatizing not only immigrants and refugees, but also Muslim citizens of the United States,” Watson wrote in his 43-page decision. The ruling surprised many observers, who considered the administration’s changes to the original order would’ve made it more difficult for potential plaintiffs to argue standing in court. Watson considered 15 months worth of remarks on the topic made by Trump and his associates, including his senior advisor Stephen Miller and former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani. In his decision, Watson cited a handful of comments from Trump, including his Dec. 7, 2015 press release calling for a ban on Muslims entering the United States in the wake of the terror attacks in Paris and the slayings in San Bernardino, Calif. “I think Islam hates us,” Trump said in an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on March 9, 2016. Asked if there was a war between the West and Islam, Trump responded: “It’s very hard to separate because you don’t know who’s who.”Pressed last July on whether he was softening his stance on Muslim immigration, Trump clarified his position. “I don’t think it’s a [pull-back]. In fact, you could say it’s an expansion,” he said. “I’m looking now at territories. People were so upset when I used the word Muslim. Oh, you can’t use the word Muslim. Remember this. And I’m okay with that, because I’m talking territory instead of Muslim.” In a presidential debate last October, Trump was asked if he remained tethered to the concept of a Muslim ban. “The Muslim ban is something that in some form has morphed into a[n] extreme vetting from certain areas of the world,” he replied. Trump was not the only person to undercut the administration’s argument in the eyes of the court. Watson recalled Giuliani’s remarks on Fox News after the first ban was instituted, in which he admitted Trump sought advice on how to legally implement a “Muslim ban.” “When [Mr. Trump] first announced it, he said, ‘Muslim ban,’” Giuliani said. “He called me up. He said, ‘Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.’”On Feb. 21, Miller, Trump’s senior advisor, told Fox News that the new ban mirrored the first. “Fundamentally, you’re still going to have the same basic policy outcome for the country, but you’re going to be responsive to a lot of very technical issues that were brought up by the court and those will be addressed,” Miller said. “But in terms of protecting the country, those basic policies are still going to be in effect.”Remarkably, Trump on Wednesday night called the new ban a “watered down” version of the original, which could perhaps further undermine the administration’s ability to convince a future judge to overturn the restraining order. During a speech in Tennessee, Trump slammed the decision an example of “judicial overreach” and vowed to fight the ruling by taking the case “as far as it needs to go.” That Watson so resoundingly disregarded the government’s argument was a surprise to some. The administration tried to avoid another unfavorable ruling by eliminating references to religious minorities, adding language to protect legal U.S. residents, including Green Card holders, and by shutting down entirely the nation’s refugee resettlement program. The administration has argued that the president has broad authority to decide who’s allowed into the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. Watson, however, said it was within the court’s powers to consider the motives of the government, which administration lawyers cautioned against. “The government appropriately cautions that, in determining purpose, courts should not look into the ‘veiled psyche’ and ‘secret motives’ of government decisionmakers and may not undertake a ‘judicial psychoanalysis of a drafter’s heart of hearts,’” Watson wrote. “The government need not fear. The remarkable facts at issue here require no such impermissible inquiry. For instance, there is nothing ‘veiled’ about this press release:“‘Donald Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.’”
Wanda BaucomWanda Dolores Baucom, formerly of Wellington,Â died Sunday, March 13, 2016 at Spring View Manor in Conway Springs at the age of 90.Wanda was born the daughter of Creed and Ruby (Dresback) Mansfield on Monday, November 9, 1925 in Wellington.On October 20, 1948, Wanda and John Baucom were united in marriage in Wichita. Together they celebrated 48 years of marriage before his passing in February of 1995.Survivors include her son, Bradford Baucom and his wife Gail of Gainsville, Georgia; son, Curtis Baucom and his wife Karan of Lawrence, Kansas; granddaughters: Courtney Nordholz and her husband Kris of Gainsville, Georgia, Emily Baucom of Lawrence, Kansas; grandsons: Douglas Baucom of Birmingham, Alabama, Titus Stewart of Wellington, Kansas; great-grandchildren: Olivia and Luke Nordholz and Tanner and Tatum Stewart. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband; brother, Richard Mansfield and sister, Colleen Yearout.Â Visitation will be held at the funeral home from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, March 15 with the family present from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.Graveside services for Wanda will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at Prairie Lawn Cemetery, Wellington.Â A memorial fund has been established in her loving memory to the Spring View Manor in Conway Springs. Contributions may be mailed or left with the funeral home.To share a memory or leave condolences, please visit www.cornejodayfuneralhome.com.Arrangements are by Cornejo|Day Funeral Home & Crematory, Wellington, Kansas.