National Life Group,National Life Group will donate $120,000 to support the relief and rebuilding efforts in Vermont stemming from the destruction of Tropical Storm Irene, CEO Mehran Assadi announced today. In addition Assadi said the company will match dollar-for dollar every donation that its 900 employees make to Vermont flood relief organizations. ‘Our hearts go out to those affected by this disaster,’ he said. ‘National Life has been rooted in Vermont since 1848 and we want to do our part to rebuild the lives, homes, and businesses of our neighbors.’ A number of National Life employees suffered losses in the flooding and the company has created a separate emergency assistance fund focused on their needs. Hundreds of National Life employees have used their volunteer time to help their neighbors clean up from the flood damage. National Life allows employees 40 hours a year to volunteer in the community on company time. ‘Employees across the company spent last week helping colleagues, neighbors and businesses dig out and clean up,’ said Assadi. ‘They are back out there this week. The need is so great.’ The $120,000 corporate donation will come from the National Life Group Charitable Foundation and will be divided among six organizations, with an emphasis on groups and funds focused on Washington County where the company headquarters are located. The recipients are the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund; the Waterbury Good Neighbor Fund; Revitalizing Waterbury; Northfield Emergency Relief Fund; Mad River Community Fund, and the Central Vermont Community Action Council. Assadi said the company dollar-for-dollar match program will broaden the scope of the corporate donation by including funds and organizations that reflect specific needs. ‘There are so many worthwhile groups and funds in the state, raising money to help farmers, or to help repair and replace covered bridges, or to help specific regions of the state,’ said Assadi. ‘By matching our employees’ donations we will help finance an array of programs.’ National Life Group has helped provide flood assistance in other ways, by donating office space to Green Mountain Transit Authority, which was washed out of its headquarters, and by providing modular office walls for relocated state offices. Assadi noted that the company is running a clothing and supply drive for flood victims, and delivered 80 pounds of organic potatoes, onions, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage and broccoli from the company’s community garden to the Northfield Food Pantry on Friday. ‘Every little thing by every person makes a big difference,’ said Assadi. ‘Taken together, working together, we will put Vermont back together.’ September 6, 2011
Manila — The Supreme Court (SC) did not take any action on ABS-CBN Corp.’s petition to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) on National Telecommunications Commission’s (NTC) cease and desist order against the broadcast giant. “The orchestrated conduct of the NTC Commissioners and its Officers and the Solicitor General directly subverts the plenary authority of the House of Representatives,” Defensor said. The ABS-CBN’s petition for certiorari and prohibition with a prayer for TRO was not discussed during SC’s en banc session on Friday as it was filed already late on Thursday afternoon. “It was filed late yesterday (I think about 4 p.m.) Special raffle needs to be scheduled by the raffle committee. Then the member-in-charge needs to review to make a recommendation,” the SC said. On March 10, NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba told members of the House they will follow the advice of the Department of Justice (DOJ), allowing ABS-CBN to operate while its franchise renewal bid is pending in Congress. The network sought for a TRO on NTC’s order as the commission gravely abused its discretion when it issued the order instead of a provisional authority to operate, as the Senate and House Franchise committee instructed and as its officials had told lawmakers under oath. Meanwhile, Anakalusugan Partylist Rep. Mike Defensor urges House of Representatives to look into possible graft and perjury charges against the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and the Solicitor General Jose Calida. In his House resolution filed on Friday, Defensor also said that Calida may also face raps for violation of the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees for his threat to NTC with regards to ABS-CBN shutdown. The High Court said in a statement the case will be raffled on Monday to a SC justice, who will handle the case and make a recommendation for the consideration of the SC en Banc. “By maliciously breaking the NTC’s commitment made under oath, constitutes the criminal acts of perjury and violations of the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees and the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act,” it added. Despite this, the NTC issued a cease and desist order, directing the network to stop operating its television and radio broadcasting stations nationwide “absent a valid Congressional Franchise required by law.” “Itong resolusyon na ito, hindi ito pagkampi sa ABS-CBN, higit sa lahat hindi ito pagtuturo. Ayaw naming magturuan sa gitan ng mga nangyayaring ito,” Defensor said. “Ito’y paglilinaw lamang na mayroong nangyaring kamalian, may nangyaring anomalya doon sa proseso na isinasagawang hearing ng Kongreso,” he added.